I would like to upgrade my C24-963_W Acer all in one, can i upgrade the CPU on the main board

Options
rjmolenaar
rjmolenaar Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2023 in All-In-One PCs

I would like to know exactly what type of RAM it has, and the max I can put in it?

I would like to know if I can upgrade the CPU on the main board, and what (i5 or i7)max info?

Can I install a SSD (1tb) ?

[Content Edited]

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answers

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,877 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
  • rjmolenaar
    rjmolenaar Member Posts: 3 New User
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. I am looking into upgrading this all in one for a friend who is computer illiterate. It is so slow at booting and getting ready to work that I think the best thing is if he just buys a faster computer as I can't see him being happy with the i3 that is installed now.

Regards,
    John

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

Actually, the CPU won't make much difference, a 10th gen i3 should be good enough for almost all tasks. Likely he is running off a HDD instead of a SSD and has too little memory installed for Windows to run best. Drop an M.2 SSD in, it supports SATA and NVMe, with PCIe 4.0, so the fastest will be an NVMe x4 4.0 SSD, but a 3.0 will work as well. Only after you have done that, and cloned the existing HDD to it, look at his memory usage. If he's running at higher than 65% memory or so, increase it. That model uses up to two DDR4 2666 SO-DIMMs, 4, 8 or 16GB each for a maximum of 32GB. He's likely going to be fine with 16GB but might has as little as 4GB installed currently. Don't get XMP memory, it will likely end up slower than what he has now.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.