ph16-71-72yg conflicting information. max specs are 32gb ddr5 4800. But chipset supports way more .

Options
jamiesaun85
jamiesaun85 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in Predator Laptops

Sup guys? Im aware the max specs are 32gb ddr5 4800. But if you look up the chipset its supports way more than that, also i could have sworn i read somewhere that a dude put 64 in his and it works, but i cant find it now. Any consensus on this?

Secondly, nowhere in any of the documantati0n does it say my usbc ports are thunderbolt 4. But other models do have thunderbolt 4, and my usb c slots have a lighning bolt on them. Plus theres drivers installed for thunderbolt 4. So confusing.

Lastly, I saw in the bios there's an option for ssd slot 0 and slot 1. So that means there's support for 2 ssds, doesn't it? And why only a max size of 2 tb?

thanks for any clarification on this. Id like to get another ssd in there asap before prices go up next quarter….thanks a lot samsung!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,926 Trailblazer
    Options

Acer recommends maximum 32GB RAM:

Every laptop review that I open state that this model has 2 USB ports both support Thunderbolt 4, Power Delivery (PD).
    https://laptopmedia.com/review/acer-predator-helios-16-ph16-71-review-liquid-metal-meets-a-huge-power-draw/#p1

There are two M.2 PCIe x4 slots in this laptop, compatible with Gen 4 SSDs. There is no capacity limit for the storage. You can upgrade to an 8TB SSD or depending on your usage and budget.

• jamiesaun85

Tinkerer

Options
  • jamiesaun85

Tinkerer

Options

Hell yeah dude, that site is a gold mine. Looks like i should have gone for the i9 and 4080!

oh well. Still a decent laptop

• jamiesaun85

Tinkerer

Options

Yeah, check the configurations. They even sell one with the i7 and 64gb of ram. See what i mean? So its Definity capable. Going by Intel the max supported for 13700hx is 192gb. Cant find what the 770 chipset is capable of but did notice pcie gen 4 is the max while the processor will do gen 5.

None of that even matters though. Who needs more than 32gb memory? and gen 4 is plenty fast enough.

• jamiesaun85

Tinkerer

edited December 2023
    Options

Gotta say, Acer is a pretty[Content Edited] company, lieing to the patrons like that. A lot of my questions I saw answered by either Acer themselves or an acer representative. The were wrong on all of them. But none of it made any sense, so i kept digging. Had to find my answers elsewhere? Not a great look.

Going to have to do something about these temps too because max tdp or whatever was 100c. Ive hit that twice now.

[Edited the thread to hide sensitive content]

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,832 Pathfinder
    Options

@jamiesaun85

• This model supports 64GB of RAM. You can check with this command wmic memphysical get maxcapacity
    • The lightning symbol on the USB-C ports means they are the ThunderBolt 4 port. Your model has ThunderBolt 4.
    • It has 2 M.2 slots and there is no capacity limit for each slot. This means you can install an 8TB SSD or an even larger one.
    • Since you have mentioned the temps reaching 100C, make sure that the fan speed is set to max and have good ventilation for the laptop. The thermal paste might have gone bad so you can ask the local Acer to repaste the laptop.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • jamiesaun85

Tinkerer

Options

excellent answers! Definitely, what I was looking for. @AnhEZ28

I wasn't even aware there was a local Acer. I will look into that. Overall the laptop runs really well except some micro-freezes that are definitely software related. I'm I'm not interested in coming into Acre's home and badmouthing them, and I do think this is a great laptop overall. I just think the software could definitely be better. But that's thats easy to fix.

i certainly don't donneed 64 gigs of ram. That's a lot. But 32 will be going into it very soon. And I'm inot going to waste this ssd because they used a very decent one. So I'll iljust stick another one in slot 2. Or slot 0 as the motherboard calls it, restore widows and get rid of some of this software. Should be ready to rock rock after that.

I may pull the cooler and see what the compound looks like, or I may take it in to Acer. Since it's its liquid metal, something I've ivnever heard of, I'd appreciate any suggestions for or against this idea.

I appreciate the help dudes. I'm an Asus man. Have been since I've Ivy Bridge. But this Laptop deal was too good to pass up. Time will tell if it was a good idea or not. So far so good lately. Though it is my second. The first one had a bad battery right out of the gate and I made the mistake of using acres utilities to calibrate it. Over heated or something because it corrupted everything on that disc. It didn't even recognize that there was a disc anymore.

• jamiesaun85

Tinkerer

Options

sorry for the typos. Not sure what's going on with my thumbs today, and it's too late to fix them I guess. Pretty small time limit.

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@jamiesaun85

There might be some bloatware and even preinstalled Anti-Virus software you don't need. You can choose to uninstall them to get better overall performance.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • jamiesaun85

Tinkerer

Options

will do. Thanks.

• jamiesaun85

Tinkerer

Options

@AnhEZ28

Interestingly, i ran the command you advised about the memory capacity, this is what it spit back out at me

134GB?

Thats gotta be for a motherboard with 4 lanes, right? that would be 4 32 gb sticks or 2 67 gb sticks?

is this a desktop processor that was paired with a mobile chipset or something?

This is all just extracurricular curiosity. I have no intention of going beyond 32gb. I see no need whatsoever.

• AnhEZ28
    edited December 2023
    Options

@jamiesaun85

134217728KB = 128GB, meaning this model can take 2 64GB sticks. (unsure since no one have tested this)

i7-13700HX is a laptop processor.

• jamiesaun85

Tinkerer

Options

@AnhEZ28

quite the nest of knowledge you got there brother. Very impressive. Side note, 128 gigs of ram in a laptop is pure insanity.

so for the liguid metal compound, do I just contact Acer and ask for a local authorized representative to re-apply it? There's plenty of repair shops around here, but none that are Acer specific.

The last pc I built was Ivy Bridge era, many hobbies ago. Still rocking it just fine, by the way, it hasn't ever given me a hint of trouble. I know the new stuff runs hot. But I'm uncomfortable with 100c. If I can't get that fixed I won't be keeping this thing. Just doesn't scream longevity to me, ya know?

and thanks again for indulging my inquiries.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,069 Trailblazer
    Options

Acer does NOT quote DDR5-4800MHz type ram or a max total of 64GB ram for the Predator PH16-71. it quotes DDR5-5600MHz type ram (see specs below) at max 2x 16GB DDR5-5600MHz into this laptops 2x sockets:

USB-C Thunderbolt 4 Specs

The Predator PH16-71 model has provisions for 2x M.2 SSD PCIe4x4 and Acer has tested this laptop with 2TB M.2 SSD drives and DOES NOT recommend 4TB M.2 SSD drives as a compatible drive. If you want to experiment with 4TB M.2 SSD drives you do so at your own expense and risk!

M.2 SSD drives positions - SSD1 listed below is the BOOT M.2 Drive

• jamiesaun85

Tinkerer

edited December 2023
    Options

excellent dude. I think the ram i got is 5800, but its supposed to slow down to match the system. Also, i really have no interest in sticking anything bigger than 2tb in the other slot, And im not switching the original. No reason to waste a perfectly good ssd. I actually dont need any more storage, thats what the nas is for. But id rather do it now while prices are still low.

I Ordered them a few hors ago. 32 gigs of ram 5800 mhz and a 2 tb gen4 ssd. Both from crucial.

So now i just gotta decide if i should redo the liquid metal thermal paste myself or let a pro do it.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,069 Trailblazer
    edited December 2023
    Options

These are all the Acer recommended DDR5-4800MHz and DDR5-5600Mhz ram modules for this laptop from its service guide, note that when this list came out the 16GB HYNIX DDR5-5600MHz modules were not available, so I don't know about today, so check up with HYNIX if they have stock, but the HYNIX DDR5-5600MHz type ram is what Acer recommends for this laptop.

The below Samsung 2TB M.2 SSD drive is the only 2TB drive that Acer has tested with this laptop and it lists in its SG, but other 2TB PCI34x4 M.2 SSD drives will work perfectly and 100% with this laptop, I suggest and if you want the quickest PCIe4x4 drive, then fit the Samsung 990 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD drive.

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@jamiesaun85

You can ask the local Acer first since the laptop is still under warranty. They might replace the liquid metal for free of charge.

• jamiesaun85

Tinkerer

Options

Excellent, i will do both. Thanks guys, you all rock

• jamiesaun85

Tinkerer

Options

Well, first level of tech support was absolutely no help at all. He informed me the rapid spikes to tj limit are from 1) not a problem and these things can live at 90-100c all the time. 2) in his experience, temperatue behavior like this is usually from having it plugged in too long. And 3) Acer doesn't do thermal paste replacement. This was after he made me check for updates, and disable start up apps. Actually, i really wish i would have saved the conversation, it was something to behold.

I was polite, because I'm just not interested in being rude. However, I did inform him, with all due respect that while it is correct that a cpu maintaining 90c minimum with constant spikes to tj max wont kill a cpu, it absolutely will cause rapid degradation. And that barring a firmware issue, the problem could only be a bad cooler, poor contact or bad thermal paste.

I really dont think its a bad cooler or, to be honest, bad thermal paste either, perse. The system idles at between 45-44c when pulling between 2-15 watts. As soon as a real load is put on it, it spike to 100c immediately and throttles back the clocks. Also the voltages seem really high to me, but im far from an expert. I haven't overclocked or even checked vid's? in over 10 years. In any event, it cant be a bad cooler. Looks like I'm going to have to take it apart myself and see what's going on. My bet is on poor contact. Any takers?

With that said, did i hear right that these cpu's use liquid metal? Could have sworn i read that somewhere. If not, what should i use?