Acer Aspire 5742g-374G32Mnkk - upgrade CPU and RAM. unit had heating or power issues from the start,

Options
Skybluesky
Skybluesky Member Posts: 64 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited December 2023 in Aspire Laptops

Hello everyone,

I have to replace the memory of my Acer Aspire 5742g, that is not good, and decided to go for an upgrade and improve the performance a bit.

Buying a new computer with the specs I need now is out of budget and this may give me a year or two to save for a better one.

This will be used for web navigation, video watching, photos and graphic editing, and maybe even for use with a drawing tablet (and it´s software).

I think this laptop always had some kind of heating or power issues from the start, even with the original adapter charger. First thing to go was the battery. It stayed powered with only the charger since then. Next the adapter had to be replaced (similar match), then the fan, now the RAM.

I have some questions about what I can really upgrade to.

This computer is an Acer Aspire 5742g-374G32Mnkk, model Pew71:

Processor: Intelcore i3-370M

Memory: 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3, 1066Mhz, 1.5v, Kingston (M471B5773CHS-CH9)

Graphic card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD5470 (512MB)

Upgrade the CPU:

• I´m thinking about intel i7-640M. My doubt is: will it accept/recognize or activate the graphic card?
  • Any other problems I should consider now?
  • Will 8GB ram be enough to keep up with this faster processor?

Upgrade RAM:

Battery (original was 4400mAh, 10.8v, 48wh, AS10D31):

• Can it use a 9 cell battery instead of 6?
  • Can it have much more than the original 4400mAh? Like 5200mAh?

I'm also looking into the graphic card but not going to change it right now.

• Can I upgrade the graphic card to something with 1 GB? I think most 1GB NVIDIAs need another cooling system.
  • Is there a better Radeon (1Gb or +) that matches this motherboard? I couldn´t find any but maybe there is.
  • Does it need to have the same die area (59m2 in this radeon)?
  • Does it need to have the same TPM (15W in this card)?

If anyone knows the answers, please leave a reply here. Many thanks.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Skybluesky
    Options
    How come you are not thinking of a fast 2.5" SSD like the Samsung 870 EVO V-NAND 2TB?

I looked into it, but was avoiding to buy a new one because I got a replacement this last January. I was having many disk errors and also forced to reinstall Windows many times, so I got an identical HDD. Now, I think it was RAM issues. Also, my doubt is if the pins match or if it fits/connects like an HDD?

I´m reconsidering the SSD.

The i7-C40M CPU with 8GB RAM no issues: https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_i5_Mobile/i5-450M_(BGA).htm

Do you mean i7-640M? or i5-450M?

I was asking about i7-640M - what problems can it have?

Really? You mean, absolutely really for sure? No chance it can ever recognize 16GB? No workaround the BIOS or motherboard?? :(

Let me say it is really a pity that a laptop like this, upgradable to an i7, doesn´t have 16GB as maximum RAM.

You can upgrade the GPU: (…)  but you will have to change the entire MOBO and will have spent more than a new laptop. 

Yes, I suspected so. Couldn´t find anything similar to that small Radeon. But graphic chips is something I don´t know very well.

Battery: Some sellers don´t list the dimensions. When they do, all have small differences on dimensions for same battery model/number. Still, many list 9-cell batteries for 5742g, only with higher capacity (mAh).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133680337468

https://www.amazon.com/NinjaBatt-Battery-AS10D31-AS10D51-AS10D81/dp/B01KXRT9Z6 https://www.amazon.es/dp/B01LZKV2IT/ref%3Dtwister_B085HZJD4N?_encoding=UTF8 https://www.walmart.com/ip/Superb-Choice-9-cell-Acer-Aspire-5742-G-5742Z-5742-Z-Laptop-Battery/42201724

@Puraw thank you for replying.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 9,747 Trailblazer
    edited December 2023
    Options

I, and many others (check the links I sent) are sure about the 8GB max DDR3 RAM, I would stick to the CPU compatible list on that link. The replacement battery must have the same voltage rating as the original battery, no issues with higher capacity (mAh).

Good luck with your upgrade plans, sounds like a major improvement, but replace the spinner for an SSD ($50). 😉

• Skybluesky
    Options

Ah that's such a shame. Ideal would be to have 16GB. Some discovered their laptop could recognize and accept 16GB - I was just hoping this might be the case.

I´ll likely go with the SSD. Been researching and it seems a good idea. But will have to forget the battery then.

Any problems in just using it connected with the charger all the time?

Also, do I need to update the BIOS version? This one has never been updated. I see some people had problems but it is recommended in some sites when upgrading the CPU.

• Skybluesky
    Options

Does anyone here know if I really need to update the BIOS version? This one is still V 1.07.

• Ranus
    Ranus Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options

I could give you my opinion on upgrading my Aspire 5742G-374G32Mncc.

Mine started with a i3-370M, 4GB DDR3 1066 MHz RAM, Ati Mobility Radeon HD 5470 (512 MB), and 320 GB HDD.

I've upgraded it to the following:

• Processor i5-M580 2,67GHz (maximum according to Acer Service Manual)
    • 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz (2x4GB) (maximum according to Acer Service Manual)
    • 1TB SSD Drive (I don't think there's any limit regarding the size)
    • Wi-Fi 6e MPE-AXE3000H Mini-PCIe card

This motherboard will not accept 8GB DDR3 modules (I've already tried) nor any low voltage ones.

Regarding the battery I've thrown in the towel as the processor is not very energy-saving at all so I've decided to leave the laptop without any battery installed and use it to the mains.

The latest BIOS for this laptop is v 1.30 (13/August/2012).

I hope this helps.

J.

• Skybluesky
    edited May 28
    Options

Thank you for replying Ranus : I always wondered if it could somehow accept the 8gb modules - good to know.

I gave up and sold mine with an I7-640M installed. Motherboard simply had power issues - it was work for an expert. Still, your info may help others trying to upgrade it.

Something else: mine used to always heat up alot. Service manual says, if I´m not mistaken, that 90 or 95 W charger can be used with specific versions of this computer. I wondered if giving mine a 95W would make it heat much less.

Anyway, thanks. May you enjoy your Aspire for long.

• Ranus

Tinkerer

Options

I've gone a bit further and installed a i7-820QM. It works fine. My laptop has discreet AMD graphics so no problem with i7 processors.

• Skybluesky
    Options

Interesting… :D When I was searching for CPUs I wondered if other models like that one would work and it seems some do.

Just for curiosity… Is it much faster now? Does it make a big difference in changing the CPU? With 8gb you likely still can´t use well Win 11, I think.

Still good work!

• Ranus

Tinkerer

edited June 11
    Options

8GB of RAM and a SSD drive make a huge impact.

The i7-820QM has basically the same performance as my i5-580m but a higher TDP so in the end it wasn't a wise idea, keeping in mind that the 5742G refrigeration is not good at all. I've now ordered a i7-640m which a bit better that the i5.

W11 is not a problem at all as long as you install it through Rufus.

• Skybluesky
    Options

keeping in mind that the 5742G refrigeration is not good at all

True!

Thank you for your info. I always wondered how the 5742G would improve with a i7-640M! :D

Good luck with the new processor, I hope it works better.

• Ranus

Tinkerer

Options

Well… no much difference at all between the i5 and i7. What I'm trying now is to reduce the idle temp.

I've ordered a new heatsink as there are two versions: single copper pipe and double copper pipe. My laptop came with the single one and I've ordered the double one.

Let's see if this makes any difference.

• Skybluesky
    edited June 23
    Options

@Ranus thanks for sharing! I always thought there was no hope in lowering those temps in that aspire. I had no idea there was another compatible heatsink model. Please leave here a comment if it works :).

May get other people to search for similar solutions.

• Ranus

Tinkerer

Options

@Skybluesky I've already installed the "new" heatsink (it's as old as the pyramids) and the idle temp has actually decreased quite a bit. With the 1-copper-pipe heatsink it was idling in the high 30s and now with the 2-copper-pipe one it is idling in the lower 30s.

I've attached pictures of both heatsinks once installed so you can see the diference.

I'm surprised my laptop had the single copper pipe one as it was designed for the embedded graphics motherboard and mine is actually a AMD discreet one.

• Skybluesky
    Options

WOW! Great photos! The first one looked just like the aspire I had. Ahhh…memories of opening it in vain countless times…. I would recognize that motherboard and heatsink anywhere.

I always wondered if that cooling system could be improved and, obviously, maybe it can.

Now, you have TWO copper pipes running through and one of them just for the CPU - great!!

If it works, then congratulations! You did a good job with it.😄

Where did you find that heatsink model?

Regards