Acer Aspire 5742G-6426 / memory upgrade

lrus
lrus Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
I would like to upgrade its 2G x 2 memory modules. It has PG-10600, CL9, 1333 MHz, 1.5V. 

- Is it 1.5V or 1.35V? I am assuming that this has to match per MB and can not be changed.
- Can the laptop take a single 8G dimm or both slots has to be filled? Can it take 2G + 4G?
- Can it take higher clock speed modules (e.g. 1600 MHz) and work at 1333?

I would like to get user's guide / manual for the laptop. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    edited November 2017

Go to crucial dot com for specs on compatible memory modules for the 5742G. Same speed or higher should work OK. 8GB is advertised max but BIOS may accept 16GB but not guaranteed. Jack E/NJ PS User's guide should already be on the HDD. If not, manualslib dot com has probably got it. 

Jack E/NJ

• lrus
    User guide on the HDD is a generic version. I was able to get a bit more model specific guide from manualslib dot com. Thx.

How to find if the BIOS (InsydeH20 Rev 3.5) and System BIOS V1.30 can take additional memory?

Crucial site incorrectly refers to memory module with 1.35V whereas the User Guider (from above site) refers to 1.5V
    and matches with the modules in the laptop.

crucial dot com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-5742g
    • DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V 
  • JackE
    A 1.35v module should also work OK. Whether or not the BIOS chip and its firmware will accept more than the advertised 8GB is a gamble. No way of telling unless it's tried.  Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• lrus
    I tried 1.35v 1600Mz module (from other laptop) but the video display is out of sync. I suspect issue with the voltage mismatch.
  • JackE
    Did you try to mix a 1.35v module with a 1.5v module together? If you did, remove the 1.5 module and try it again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• lrus
    I had tried with both 1.35v 1600MHz modules from a working laptop. The video goes off sync right after windows logo is displayed.

• JackE

Something's amiss? They should work if the specs are the same as Crucial advises. If it were mine, I'd download the Crucial scanner and see what it finds inside and recommends for your particular 5742G with the old modules installed. Whatever upgrade the scanner recommends, is guaranteed to work if you get the modules from Crucial. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• lrus
    thanks for the pointer.