My AN515-55 won't recognize that I have installed a second SSD.cant find it in disk management.

Options
SpudG
SpudG Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2023 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks

I cannot find the new ssd in disk management. What have i done wrong?

I opened up the laptop, put the ssd in the second drive. I turned my laptop back on and it is not recognizing anything is different.

SSD is 1TB TeamGroup MP33 SSD PCLe Gen3 x4.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• SpudG
    Options

I am technologically challenged but this seemed simple enough.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

VDid you disconnect the lithium battery before installing the SSD?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,891 Trailblazer
    Options

Maybe this link will help you or try to swap PCIe ports (you may not have inserted the new SSD properly). The 2 ports are marked with numbers on the motherboard: number 1 supports PCIe drives only, while number 2 can hold both PCIe and SATA drives.
    https://www.diskpart.com/windows-11/disk-management-windows-11-new-ssd-0725.html

• SpudG
    Options

I did not, is that a necessary step? I wouldn't have caused any damage would I? It still works fine, just no extra storage.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

It's possible, but not likely, that you fried the SSD by plugging it in while powered. It's more likely the drive is just bad. I don't know who Teamgroup sources their SSDs from, they are essentially just one of the generics out of China. Try swapping the two drives between the M.2 slots to verify. If the new drive shows up but the old one doesn't (you would likely have to boot from a Windows install flash drive and use diskpart to verify) then it's your motherboard that's the problem (less likely that either of the above). If it still boots from the old drive, and the new one doesn't come up it's the drive that's the issue. Swap it with your vendor or return it and get one of the major manufacturers drives instead.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options

WWith the new SSD connected, upload a photo of the bios information tab.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)