Acer Edge Swift 16 Why Acer services running without being installed?

bluewanderer
bluewanderer Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in Acer Software

I am not a big fan of extra utilities and unneeded programs on the computers I manage, especially ones that have a history of security vulnerabilities. I therefore reinstall windows on all my organization's laptop, including several Acer Edge Swift 16 laptops. I then only install the drivers the drivers for full hardware functionality.

On my Acer laptops I have 3 acer services running:
Acer Care Center
Acer Device Info
Acer Quick Access

Does anyone know where they come from? Is there an easy way to uninstall the services? Is there any problem with disabling the services?

I know Acer Quick Access had some security issues a few years ago. I did not take any notes what drivers came via windows updates and what came from Acer.

I know these do provide some features, but I prefer a standard vanilla Windows setup for now.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• OHello! You can uninstall programs by going to UNINSTALL OR CHANGE A PROGRAM.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,939 Trailblazer
    edited December 2023

These programs are installed together with OEM Windows OS by Acer, if you don't have an older Aspire 5 keyboard you can safely uninstall these 3 programs in Windows "Add programs and apps", don't use 3rd-party "uninstaller" programs as these will cause more clutter in the registry, squandering your resources. Some Aspire 5 keyboards don't have Caps Lock and Num LK LEDs when toggled so you won't know if these and some other Fn keys are active, Acer Quick Access displays these key locks On Screen when pressed, QA is not required for modern keyboards and that is the only useful feature. Acer Care Center can restore the system to factory defaults and that is about all ACC is worth mentioning for, Windows' "Reset without losing your files" option does the same thing without Acer's wallpaper and lock screens so gamers may want to hang on to ACC only for that reason. Also, trial program versions and non-Windows browsers can be safely uninstalled as these will keep pestering you to subscribe, change your default settings and continuously run at the background, backing up your (personal) data to cloud, chatter online, "updating" daily, and interfere with Windows Wau updater, Defender's security and Edge functions. I recommend turning off Cloud completely, just use MS Office (free) drop box One Drive and your MS User Account for syncing/backing up your settings, passwords and bookmarks. Note that all these non-Windows programs have BU agents, scheduled tasks and services installed in Windows registry that you need to delete otherwise uninstalled programs will reinstall at some point and some may even continue to run after you think you have uninstalled these (anti-malware as an example). Services can be found in the registry with Regedit here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ delete the services under this key on the left screen that pertain to uninstalled programs. Same in Library-Task Scheduler, disable or delete tasks for uninstalled programs after the service has been deleted in the registry. 😉

• bluewanderer
    bluewanderer Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Thanks for the info.

I reinstalled windows 11. I did not reinstall the bloatware. The only Acer software I reinstalled were the drivers. These services are not listed in "Add or Remove Programs" or the control panel.

Does anyone know where these are installed from?

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,939 Trailblazer

Check Task Scheduler there may be an Acer updater that installs the programs, or check services, only applies after you used Reset this PC or Refresh, not for a Clean install.

• These programs must appear.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,467 Trailblazer

My guess is you did a reset instead of a clean install… A clean install from a vanilla Windows install image won't have any of those utilities.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.