Aspire TC-885 HDMI problem. I lose the signal to the monitor and it falls into sleep mode

yaudette
yaudette Member Posts: 34 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited December 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

Hi,

I have a TC-885-ES17 running under Windows 11, version 23H2, with an Intel UHD graphics 630 driven by Intel drivers version 26.20.100.7262 dated 2019-09-25. I have tried other drivers available through Intel Driver & Support Assistant but the problem remains the same. The TC-885 comes with 2 HDMI ports and I have an ASUS VP278QGL monitor connected through the HDMI port located at the top of the case. The BIOS version is R01-C3.

For whatever reason, it does happen that I lose the signal to the monitor and it falls into sleep mode. To fix this, I must pull out the HDMI cable from the connected port and move it to the second port so that the signal comes back.

This situation used to happen when I was watching TV replays but recently, it happened while I was using MS Edge after clicking on a video link.

Initially, I thought that it was a driver problem. So I used the Intel Driver and Support Assistant tool to install other versions of drivers with no luck. This is the reason for going back to the driver version dated 2019-09-25.

The problem is intermittent in a sense that as long as I am not in streaming mode, there is no issue. Nevertheless, this is very annoying especially when you try to catch up on TV programs because each time you begin a new episode, the signal is lost on the connected HDMI port and you have to disconnect the HDMI cable to plug it to the other port (from HDMI1 to HDMI2) and then on the next episode, you must disconnect HDMI2 to bring it back to HDMI1.

Here is the sequence of events:

• connect to the web site of the TV channel
  • select an episode
  • as the episode begins, the signal is lost
  • move the HDMI cable to the other port
  • signal is back
  • watch the episode then select the next episode
  • as the episode begins, the signal is lost
  • move the HDMI cable to the other port
  • signal is back

Anybody has a solution or explanation?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• yaudette
    Answer ✓

eureka, I have resolved the problem by buying and installing another card to override the onboard Intel UHD graphics 630. The problem is now closed.

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Try a different cable and/or monitor.

But be sure that the cable is not loose on the monitor end.

• yaudette

Thanks Larryodie. I was just about to modify my case when I saw your reply. As a matter of fact, I did try another HDMI cable as well trying a different HDMI port on the monitor. To eliminate the possibility of a faulty monitor, I have even replaced the TC-885 by another Acer computer and I did not experienced any problem with the other computer. I have the feeling that the problem is caused by the onboard graphics card.

Thanks again Larryodie for your support.

• Larryodie

I'd remove the board and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser. IF IT HAS A Board.

My TC-895 doesn't have a board but it has a slot to install a board and override the existing con board circuit.

• yaudette

it is onboard and yes there is a slot to install another card.

• Larryodie

I would go to task manager and disable all start-up's as it can still be a software virus doing strange things while running in the back ground.

Also take a look at processes to see what is running in the background.

• yaudette

sorry Larryodie for late reply but I am out of town. As soon as I'm back, I will follow up to your suggestions.

• yaudette

I went to system parms/apps/startup and have deactivated the launch of Antidote (spell checker), Intel Rapid Storage Icon, Intel Graphics Command Center, Logitech SetPoint Event Manager, Realtek HD Audio and Windows Security Notification Icon. Everything else was already deactivated (Java update, MS Edge, Skype, Terminal, etc.). The conclusion is that the problem is present still.

Regarding the possibility of a virus, I would say that I have been using Norton Antivirus for decades and it is kept up to date. I feel confident that my problem does not originate from a virus.

Regarding the processes running in background, I did not find anything unusual but I ended tasks like TeamViewer, Zoom, Acer Quick Access and Adobe Update Services without any impact on the problem.

I still feel it is a hardware problem due to the onboard gaphic card. I will most likely look for a new graphic card in the near future.

Thanks Larryodie

• yaudette
    Answer ✓

eureka, I have resolved the problem by buying and installing another card to override the onboard Intel UHD graphics 630. The problem is now closed.