fan connected to sys_fan1 on Aspire XC-1780 doesnt work

Hi guys, I bought an Aspire XC-1780 and I added a slim artic 120mm fan in the mesh side panel, on top of the cpu fan. When I boot the desktop the fan starts but then it will eventually stop, also in the bios it doesnt even detect it. Do you have have these issues?

I've connected it to the top left corner, in the 4pin connector.

Thanks

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Bad fan or thermal is cutting it off. Was it used ? Does it make noise ?

• ribeirinhu
    ribeirinhu Member Posts: 2 New User

i did a stress test so that just i could be surr it would start it but no. Fan is OK i’ve tested in another setup

Another thing is that it doesnt detect on bios, i can see the cpu fan. Can you all confirm if you plug another fan in sys_fan you can see the rpm in bios?

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

I don't think that it'll show in the bios BUT perhaps the CPU FAN is blowing hot air on it thus a thermal shutdown ? You'll also blocking the air flow of the CPU fan. Maybe mount it at a different location.

• Ultrapenguin
    Ultrapenguin Member Posts: 1 New User

I have fitted two additional fans to the case of my Acer1780, I can confirm they both work and are connected by a Molex splitter to the sys fan connection on the motherboard. Fans do not show in BIOS and will follow the fan speed of the CPU fan. I also mounted the larger of the two fans on the grill opposite the CPU, you will not impede cooling from your CPU, in fact you will assist it if you mount directly opposite the CPU. I fitted a small 80mm to the grill just below the PSU (this does the majority of the work) with the second mounted opposite the CPU both fans are set to push air out of the case (this is why you will not stop hinder the CPU fan). If your fan is not working I suspect it is either faulty or the wrong voltage.