Predator Helios PH18-71 power button won't turn on laptop when on battery

Options
Smiley_Joe
Smiley_Joe Member Posts: 3 New User

The power button works as expected when the power adaptor is connected for turning the laptop on and off.

But when on battery power only, pressing the power button just makes the Battery indicator LED flash amber 5 times - it won't power up the laptop, despite the battery being over 50% charged. Is this normal behaviour?

If I want to use the laptop on battery, I have to temporarily plug in the power lead 1st just to get it to power up, then remove the lead and continue using the laptop on battery power only. I've set the battery to only charge up to 80% to protect the battery health - is that preventing power up on battery only?

Best Answer

• Smiley_Joe
    Answer ✓
    Options

Eventually resolved the issue - as a one-time solution, it needed the power button held down >20s before the laptop powered up while on battery.

Now the laptop powers happily up on battery power alone with just a normal short press of the power button. Not sure what the long power button press achieved but it seems to have fixed the problem

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,919 Trailblazer
    edited December 2023
    Options

Amber charge LED flashing indicates that the battery is too low to start the laptop, either the battery is bad, or the power adapter is not powerful enough to charge the battery to 100%.
    https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/100-how-do-the-battery-and-power-indicator-lights-on-my-acer-notebook-work

Create a battery report in Windows and see if the battery capacity has dropped recently, try a larger adapter if that can charge the battery to 100%. If not replace the battery.

• Smiley_Joe
    edited December 2023
    Options

All my previous laptops happily powered up on battery power providing there was a minimum amount of charge (i.e. >15%) left in the battery. My PH18-71 refuses to power up on battery power with >=80% charge in it. I have to plug in the adaptor before it will turn on. Once switched on, I can remove the adaptor and the laptop will happily run on battery power alone for nearly 3 hours before needing the adaptor plugged back in to recharge. To me, that is the sign of a perfectly normal and healthy battery in any device.

What I'm trying to find out is why my PH18-17 won't turn on under battery power alone when there's hours of operating charge present in the battery??? Is there a BIOS update that addresses this?

• Smiley_Joe
    Answer ✓
    Options

Eventually resolved the issue - as a one-time solution, it needed the power button held down >20s before the laptop powered up while on battery.

Now the laptop powers happily up on battery power alone with just a normal short press of the power button. Not sure what the long power button press achieved but it seems to have fixed the problem

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Can you check battery wear with hwinfo64? Try updating the bios:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)