acer Predator PHN16-71-73LT can i take it and swap the original 1tb ssd that the system

Options
twiddybird
twiddybird Member Posts: 34 Troubleshooter
edited December 2023 in Predator Laptops

i just ordered a acer Predator GM7000 2TB NVMe Gen4 Gaming SSD, M.2 2280, Compatible with PS5, PCIe 4.0 Internal PC Solid State Hard Drive Up to 7400MB/s - BL.9BWWR.106. can i take it and swap the original 1tb ssd that the system is on? i would like to take the original 1tb and make it my back ups on. plus other files. personal stuff.

and if so, how do i do that?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and add issue detail]

Best Answer

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,919 Trailblazer
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

There are two M.2 PCIe x4 slots in this laptop, compatible with Gen 4 SSDs up to 2TB for each slot. To replace your boot drive with your new SSD you need a USB backup drive to back up the entire internal boot SSD to that external drive using 3rd-party backup software or the W7 backup-Image app in Windows11 (recommended) but you need to make first a USB Recovery flash drive for either 3rd party BU software or for the W7-W11 BU app (insert a 20GB flash drive in the USB port and type Recovery disk in Search). Then replace your boot drive SSD with the new empty 2TB SSD and restore the backup with the (Windows Recovery) USB flash drive. You may get comments here about Cloning and/or using the Macrium Reflect program, that all work OK if you know what you are doing, but W7 Image BU app in Windows11 Control Panel is the safest and easiest way, the W7 BU VHD image file can be mounted in File Explorer on any Windows PC and files can be copied and viewed.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,919 Trailblazer
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

There are two M.2 PCIe x4 slots in this laptop, compatible with Gen 4 SSDs up to 2TB for each slot. To replace your boot drive with your new SSD you need a USB backup drive to back up the entire internal boot SSD to that external drive using 3rd-party backup software or the W7 backup-Image app in Windows11 (recommended) but you need to make first a USB Recovery flash drive for either 3rd party BU software or for the W7-W11 BU app (insert a 20GB flash drive in the USB port and type Recovery disk in Search). Then replace your boot drive SSD with the new empty 2TB SSD and restore the backup with the (Windows Recovery) USB flash drive. You may get comments here about Cloning and/or using the Macrium Reflect program, that all work OK if you know what you are doing, but W7 Image BU app in Windows11 Control Panel is the safest and easiest way, the W7 BU VHD image file can be mounted in File Explorer on any Windows PC and files can be copied and viewed.

• twiddybird
    twiddybird Member Posts: 34 Troubleshooter
    Options

with all the things i have seen the samsung 990 pro 2tb is about that has the best reviews. so i ended up getting that to be my main. and i'll use my gm7000 for my second ssd. thanks for your help.