Predator Helios 300 PH315-53 - GPU randomly disappeared mid-game, now cannot be detected

Options
InfamousInc
InfamousInc Member Posts: 4 New User
edited December 2023 in Predator Laptops

Hi there, I have a Helios 300 PH315-53 that I have used on and off for about 2 years (registered it in May 2021).

I had Overwatch open last night, lifted the laptop up to move it, and an error popped up in my game that the graphics card was lost. I thought it was odd, so I started looking into it in the Device Manager, and sure enough, only the Intel integrated graphics from the CPU showed up. When I was in the middle of that, I got the BSOD and the computer restarted.

I looked online, didn't find anyone with the exact same issue, but found similar ones, so I took the minidump file, attaching here, and I've tried restarts, device detection, etc. Nothing I have found has worked, and Intel UHD Graphics are all I have in my display adapters. I cannot get it to boot to bios, it goes through too quickly…any ideas there?

I took the bottom off of the PC, double checked all of the connectors that I could see to make sure they were connected still, and even resorted to taking the CPU/GPU heatsink cover off of them to look, and didn't see anything I recognized as out of the ordinary. I took a photo and am uploading below as well.

TL;DR

Issue: Dedicated gpu won't show up in device manager, cannot get it back.

Fixes Tried: Restarts, shut downs, device detection, taking off bottom and covers to make sure the pins were all connected

Could anyone point me in the right direction? I know they solder the GPUs on, so if that is fried I'm pretty much SOL, right? Would a local shop or Geek Squad know/be able to fix it? I am pretty well-versed with computers, but laptops are not my forte. Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,069 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, I'm afraid your NVidia gpu is burned out, which unfortunately happens on these laptops, as the gpu's voltage is governed by capacitors/mosats and if a mosat shorts out it allows too much current into the gpu and the gpu chip is damaged, and that is what happened to your gpu. The only thing you can do if you want the NVidia gpu is you need to change the PH315-53 mainboard, otherwise your laptop will work with the Intel cpu integrated graphics.

These are all the mainboards that Acer fitted to the PH315-53 laptop, you can fit any of these mainboards into your case and even upgrade to the higher spec boards for better performance,

The NB.QAV11.004 mainboard with the i7-10870H cpu, HM470 chipset and the RTX3080 8GB gpu is $989.59, so those are the costs that you are looking at repairing this laptop, which imo its better for you to buy a new laptop unfortunately, as to change the damaged gpu can only be done if you can buy the same board cheaply with a good gpu and get a technician to resolder it for you, as it can be done. Good luck.

Answers

• InfamousInc
    Options

I did get it to boot to Bios now, but the GPU says "unknown" and none of that stats are there.

• StevenGen
    edited December 2023
    Options

Have a look if you get a code 43 in Device Manager for the gpu after its detected in bios as "Unknown" like you have in the caption? Also, do a Hard Reset, take the main battery out and disconnect the bios battery and short its mainboard plug +&- pins and take the ram out, leave the laptop like that for 15min and reconnect everything, as it could be that your Super IO or Chipset have frozen and have stopped registering the gpu mid-way through that game or the game did that to the gpu, yes I know its strange but it does happen.

Do that and let us know as the gpu is working but its lost ID, maybe the PH315-53 Firmware > Update Nvidia discrete VGA VBIOS and improve performance > version v101a flash will help together with doing a bios flash to version 2.04 - 1. Support GPU VRAM over temperature protection - as you are running the bios version 2.02, which updating both of these could be a factor for the gpu to be identified, try that and let us know.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• InfamousInc
    Options

Thanks for your reply.

There is no 43 Error on my device manager, as the GPU isn't showing up at all.

I took out the battery, unplugged the bios battery & ram, and let it sit for 20 minutes. Once I plugged everything back in, the computer booted and the bios settings were reset (boot sound back on, keyboard backlight timeout enabled, etc) but the device manager still only shows the Intel UHD Integrated graphics, and nothing else.

I flashed the 2.04 to the bios successfully, then when trying to update the VGA VBIOS I only see the cmd pop up briefly after running the .bat, then it disappears and makes no changes, so I have been unable to apply the v101a VBIOS update.

I'm attaching the two screenshots showing the VBIOS update as well as my current device manager.

Any other ideas?

Thank you again in advance

• StevenGen
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, I'm afraid your NVidia gpu is burned out, which unfortunately happens on these laptops, as the gpu's voltage is governed by capacitors/mosats and if a mosat shorts out it allows too much current into the gpu and the gpu chip is damaged, and that is what happened to your gpu. The only thing you can do if you want the NVidia gpu is you need to change the PH315-53 mainboard, otherwise your laptop will work with the Intel cpu integrated graphics.

These are all the mainboards that Acer fitted to the PH315-53 laptop, you can fit any of these mainboards into your case and even upgrade to the higher spec boards for better performance,

The NB.QAV11.004 mainboard with the i7-10870H cpu, HM470 chipset and the RTX3080 8GB gpu is $989.59, so those are the costs that you are looking at repairing this laptop, which imo its better for you to buy a new laptop unfortunately, as to change the damaged gpu can only be done if you can buy the same board cheaply with a good gpu and get a technician to resolder it for you, as it can be done. Good luck.

• InfamousInc
    Options

I was afraid of that :( Really dreaded it, but I'm glad I was able to determine that without needing to go to a repair shop and spend money just for them to tell me so. I appreciate your responses and your guidance! I guess I will go see what sales are going on right now for some gaming laptops since as you said, it will probably just be easier/better to do that than go through the hassle of a board swap.

Thank you again and I will mark this as answered so if anyone else in the future has the same unfortunate problem, they can find it here.

Thanks!