upgrade assistance for Acer Aspire TC-390-UA91 DESKTOP

I bought my kid the Acer Aspire TC-390-UA91 desktop in 2021 and he's been nudging me about "upgrading his GPU". I've done some digging but I'm kind of at a loss as to what might work with his set up and was curious if anyone had any recommendations about a gpu in the $200-300 range that may actually improve his experience. He keeps talking about his monitor can handle a certain number of FPS but the computer can't (if that makes any sense). Also, his gaming is pretty much minecraft and fortnite. Maybe more fortnite based on the number of expletives I hear coming from him room

Full disclosure: I'm a soccer coach with a double major in English and Psyc so I'm not the most tech savvy guy. I managed to add in extra ram without the thing blowing up and took that as a win. He said his buddy recommended an ASUS Phoenix GEForce RTX 3060 but they are also 12 years old so I'm seeking some more "advanced" advice from this community. Oh, and I think the computer has like, 250w power supply and it seems like that is a thing when considering upgrading this component.

And I get his desktop isn't the Taj Mahal of gaming computers. Mom and I work for non-profits so while we can support some upgrades as holiday presents, dropping a grand or more on a new pc really isn't in the cards. This is my first time posting in a community like this so my apologies for any breaches of etiquette and thanks in advance for any advice that may be helpful. I'll try my best to answer questions.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,445 Trailblazer
    edited December 2023

The Aspire Desktop TC-390-UA91 specific model that you have has a Ryzen 3 3200G cpu/Standard memory 8 GB ram and can have up to a Maximum Memory of 64GB 4x 16GB DDR4-3200MHz into its 4x DIMM slots, but the most important factor when upgrading and you want to add a gpu is its 250W Acer proprietary PSU (power supply) as you are limited to that power supply, which also doesn't have an external gpu power supply, so you can't upgrade the TC-390 desktops PSUs with an ordinary higher rated PSU off the shelf. The best GPU for a 250W PSU that doesn't require an external connector are:

• GTX 1050 or GTX 1050 Ti
    • Radeon 5550
    • MSI GTX 1050 TI 4GT LP
    • XFX R7 250

Good luck and hope this helps your son out, but you have to be aware that the above gpu's are limited to certain spec games and if your son is playing high-end games than you would be much better off selling the TC-390-UA91 and getting a new budget gaming desktop like Nitro N50-650 or an even higher gaming desktop like the Predator PO3-650 gaming desktop.