Has any one undervolt acer predator neo 16 CPU.my laptop reaches 100 degree. requesting help

Options
Aakash4910
Aakash4910 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited December 2023 in Predator Laptops

My laptop reaches 100 degrees while gaming on turbo mode so i get random stutters while gaming. I find it quit annoying also i found 13th gen HX processor can be undervolted but for acer it has been locked. I am annoyed and disappointed with this laptop. can anybody help?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• alx181
    alx181 Member Posts: 34 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

Regarding your question about undervolting the CPU, it seems that Acer has locked the undervolting feature on this laptop. However, there are other ways to reduce the temperature of your CPU while gaming. Here are some suggestions:

1. Clean the fans and vents: Over time, dust and debris can accumulate in the fans and vents of your laptop, which can cause it to overheat. Cleaning them regularly can help improve airflow and reduce the temperature of your CPU.
    2. Use a cooling pad: A cooling pad is an accessory that you can place under your laptop to help dissipate heat. They usually have fans built-in that help circulate air and keep your laptop cool.
    3. Reduce the graphics settings: High graphics settings can put a lot of strain on your CPU and GPU, which can cause them to overheat. Reducing the graphics settings in your games can help reduce the temperature of your laptop.
    4. Limit the frame rate: Limiting the frame rate of your games can also help reduce the temperature of your laptop. You can use software like MSI Afterburner or RivaTuner to limit the frame rate of your games.

If none of these suggestions work, I would recommend contacting Acer’s customer support team for further assistance. They should be able to help you diagnose the issue and provide you with the appropriate solution.

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options

@Aakash4910

It seems like Intel has blocked undervolt since the 12th Gen CPUs.

Another way to stop thermal throttling is to change the processor power state to 99% for both battery and plugged-in. Or replace the stock thermal paste with a better one such as PTM7950.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Aakash4910
    Options

@AnhEZ28 i changed the max processor state to 90 percent and i found my cpu temps to fluctuate between 80-92 degrees .. i am experiencing temps issues specially gaming on turbo mode, while on balanced mode on some games it remains at 80-85 as i turn turbo on temps reach 95-100 degrees..

• Aakash4910
    Options

@AnhEZ28 Here are some of the samples of games under balanced and turbo mode..from the images you can see that gaming on turbo mode makes CPU temps to rise beyond 97 degrees also i dont know why that games running on VULKAN and DX11 have temps below 80 degrees on balanced mode but on DX12 temp is beyond 90 degrees on balanced mode

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@Aakash4910

It might be from the bad thermal paste. You can consider asking the local Acer to repaste it.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • Aakash4910
    Options

Yeah i was also thinking about it, will consider it .Thank you for your support friend

• Aakash4910
    Options

@AnhEZ28 Hey man i changed thermal paste and it helped a little... but now i believe i found the real culprit.. after changing thermal paste temps are good between 65-70 degrees on turbo when my cpu power remain below 65 watt but the thing is my cpu watt is reaching beyond 100watts or near 100 watts while gaming.. i saw many gaming reviews and i found that in none of those laptops power wattage goes beyond 60 watts...what could be causing my laptop CPU to draw that much power? If CpU power remains below 65-70 i will have no any issues..if any idea please help

• jamiesaun85
    jamiesaun85 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options

use performance instead of turbo. It runs faster and cooler for some reason. Im really not a fan of acer software anymore. This thing has great hardware, but the software, not so much.

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@Aakash4910

Do you have the screenshot that shows the CPU power usage reaching 100 watts?

• Aakash4910
    Options

i took these screenshot from my recording…i used throttlestop to limit my TPL to 75 which have helped me to reduce my temps significantly below 80 degree in most cases but i see slight stuttering sometimes which is typically annoying if any suggestion please share @AnhEZ28

• Aakash4910
    Options

i didnot know what they mean also i donot know if they were locked before ….are these supposed to be locked by default ?