Buzzing from PSU?when I turn it off at the mains, it goes away Orion 3000 PO3-650

Options
Shiv181
Shiv181 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in Predator Desktops

Have had an Orion 3000 PO3-650 since August. Only just recently noticed a buzzing from the PSU, when I turn it off at the mains, it goes away. I'm concerned this might be the power supply failing? I've heard about the ErP setting but haven't yet tried it. Should I get it looked at so it doesn't fry??

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• a_happy_laptop_user
    a_happy_laptop_user Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options

A buzzing sound coming from the power supply unit (PSU) can be concerning, and it's a good idea to investigate the issue to ensure the proper functioning of your system. Here are some steps you can take:

1. ErP Setting:
      • The ErP (Energy-related Products) setting is designed to reduce power consumption in standby mode. It's worth checking if adjusting this setting makes a difference. In the BIOS/UEFI settings of your computer, you can look for the ErP setting and try enabling or disabling it to see if the buzzing changes.
    2. Check for Loose Components:
      • Ensure that all components inside the computer case are securely fastened. Loose components, such as cables or cards, can sometimes cause vibrations that result in a buzzing sound.
    3. Inspect for Dust and Debris:
      • Dust and debris can accumulate inside the PSU, leading to vibrations and noise. Turn off your computer, unplug it from the power source, and carefully clean the PSU and other components using compressed air.
    4. Contact the Manufacturer or Support:
      • If the issue persists after trying the above steps, and especially if your computer is still under warranty, it's advisable to contact the manufacturer's customer support. They can provide guidance on further troubleshooting or arrange for a replacement if necessary.
    5. Consider Professional Inspection:
      • If you are uncomfortable or unsure about dealing with the power supply unit, it's safer to seek assistance from a professional technician. They can assess the PSU's condition and determine if there's a need for replacement.
    6. Safety First:
      • If you suspect a hardware issue, it's crucial to prioritize safety. If there's a risk of electrical or fire hazards, it's best to discontinue use until the issue is resolved.

Since your system is relatively new, it's a good idea to address the issue promptly to avoid potential damage. Always follow safety precautions when dealing with internal components of your computer, and if in doubt, seek professional assistance.

• Shiv181
    Options

Hi,

Thanks for replying! The only setting similar is something called Deep Power Off mode, is that similar to the EfP setting?

I got dropped the link to a video I took of the noises. It didn't sound like this a week ago. A friend of mine thinks it could be coil whine.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options

It could also be the fan in the PSU, check to make sure it's spinning and not too dirty.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Shiv181
    Options

I've got a can of compressed air I'm going to give a go to and see if that'll clean it out if there is.