BaroniM Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in Predator Laptops

I cannot edit any bios settings on my Acer Predator

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,068 Trailblazer
    Options

What exact Predator model are you referring to and what part of the bios are you referring to, and what are you trying to do, as your question is very basic and could mean many things, be more specific.

• BaroniM
    Options

I have Predator Helios 300. I basically cannot edit anything from the bios, even the time/date etc. I was planning to place in a supervisor password but was grayed out. Then I tried to set everything to default by pressing F9 but nothing happens. Then I tried all other basic settings ang cannot do any changes except saving/exiting.

• StevenGen
    Options

BIOS options can become greyed out for several reasons. One common reason is that you don't have the administrative rights to make the change. Another reason is if you have Secure Boot or Platform Trusted Technology (TPM) enabled. Issues with Modern Standby supported system is another reason that prevents you from switching from UEFI to Legacy BIOS2. Updating your BIOS firmware can also resolve the issue

If the UEFI BIOS option is greyed out and you’re unable to change it, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:

Secure Boot: The most common reason for the Legacy Boot option being greyed out is Secure Boot. Secure Boot is a feature of UEFI, and you cannot switch from Legacy BIOS mode to UEFI BIOS mode until Secure Boot is enabled on your system1. You might need to disable Secure Boot to access the Legacy Boot option.

Check BIOS Settings: Boot into your BIOS utility and open Advanced Boot Options. Look for an option called “Enable Legacy Option ROMs”. If it’s available, enable it to activate the Legacy Boot mode.

BIOS Update: Check if there’s a BIOS update available for your laptop. Sometimes, updating the BIOS can resolve compatibility issues and unlock certain features. You don’t necessarily need to boot from USB to update the BIOS; some systems allow in-BIOS updates.

• BaroniM
    edited November 2023
    Options
    1. If I don't have admin privilege on the bios, how can I have and use admin priviliege?
    2. I have both Secure Boot and TPM enabled by default. I recently upgraded my bios version from 1.14 to 1.15 via Windows Update. Issue on the Bios still exist.
    3. I cannot disable Secure Boot unless I place a Supervisor password, which is also disabled and is my primary plan which I'm not able to do
    4. I am unable to locate the Enable Legacy Option ROMs

• StevenGen
    Options

If your laptop is performing 100% then leave it like it is, if you need to put a password within bios then taken your laptop to either Acer Tech Support (if your laptop is under warranty, it will get fixed under warranty) if its not then Acer will charge you a small fee or take it to a technician in your area that has these tools and can reprogram a bios. as your bios chip is either faulty or its self-locked itself and needs reprograming.