Acer Nitro VG240Y - row of "dead" pixels on monitor startup

DeoThor
DeoThor Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hi guys, around 10 days ago (and 2 months after my warranty ended) i've noticed bottom row of pixels (around 5 mms) on my monitor dead on startup and slowly appearing/reactivating with time as monitor is being used.

I've also noticed the row is ever-so-slowly increasing every few days.

Right now the row of pixels is as big that i no longer can see the windows taskbar untill monitor "warms up". had to move the taskbar to the side.

What's the issue here? Is it fixable?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,782 Trailblazer

until monitor "warms up".

How have you eliminated its video signal source as the possible problem?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,507 Trailblazer

Most often something like that is the cable. Verify that it's not by trying a different cable…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DeoThor

Tinkerer

edited November 2023

No. It isn't the cable. I've checked a different HDMI cable i have. I also noticed the row of dead pixels show immidiately on first monitor reaction (as it slightly lights up), before PC shows anyt information on screen. This also means the row is generated before graphics card imputs any data to the monitor, so i can exclude GPU being the issue.

• JackE

before PC shows any information on screen.

What's the FIRST INFORMATION that the PC usually shows on the screen? A scrolling text screen of each basic input/output device being initialized? A BIOS logo screen? The Windows log in screen?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,507 Trailblazer

Yeah, if it showing up with the computer disconnected during the splash screen that's displayed when the monitor is first turned on, it's a hardware issue. Could be a bad power supply, the main board or the display panel itself.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DeoThor

Tinkerer

First thing that "shows" is black screen gets powered up. It's still black.. but slightly more shine in it, like not completely out of power-black. And you can see the pixels being slightly odd/different colour than the rest of the screen.

I saw a somewhat slightly similar issue on youtube and some people fixed it with hair dryer. I've tried the same and i did notice the change. It didn't fix, however the row of pixels got slightly bit more in line to what's happening on screen.

• JackE

>> First thing that "shows" is black screen gets powered up. It's still
    black.. but slightly more shine in it, like not completely out of
    power-black. And you can see the pixels being slightly odd/different
    colour than the rest of the screen.>>

Do you see the same thing with the HDMI cable disconnected from the monitor and/or the PC turned off?

Jack E/NJ

• DeoThor

Tinkerer

Took me bit longer, but I've managed to check the monitor on different cable on 2 laptops. The row of dead pixels persists.

• JackE

Do you see the same thing with the HDMI cable disconnected from the monitor? Meaning no other cables except power cable connected to the monitor?

Jack E/NJ

• DeoThor

Tinkerer

Yes, even when monitors HDMI cable is disconnected i see the row of dead pixels.

• JackE

If you've tried running some dead-pixel video routines without success (google dead pixel test), then the video cable connectors on the mainboard probably need be re-seated a few times to help clean their contacts. Unfortunately, quite a bit of disassembly is required and carries a high risk of collateral damage.

Jack E/NJ