internal DVD/CD rom device on acer aspire E5-573G-522D

John_27
John_27 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in Aspire Laptops

need help.. I cannot see any longer the internal dvd/cd rom icon on Explorer and cannot see it in the control panel on acer aspire E5-573G-522D running win 10. SNID is xxxx

[edited the post to hide sensitive data]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer

Shutdown machine normally. Turn it back on and IMMEDIATELY start tapping F2 key to enter BIOS menu. Please post a phone photo of BIOS Information page if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• John_27
    edited November 2023

Hi Jack, here are the bios screens. Thank you

[edited the post to hide sensitive data]

• JackE
    edited November 2023

The optical drive is not detected by the BIOS. Means it's either not getting power or data lines are blocked. Its connector should be re-seated to help clean the contacts to see if that'll fix the problem. With the machine off and unplugged, remove the center screw. Then pull the drive out. Then push it back in. Repeat a half dozen or so times to help clean the contacts. Then button it back up and re-test.

Jack E/NJ

• John_27

Hi Jack,

I tried to do what you suggested, but unfortunately with no result. It seems that no power at all arrives. When I push the ejection button, the yellow light doesn't activate.

• JackE

How many times did you pull it out and firmly push it back in?

Jack E/NJ

• John_27

I've tried many times, would say ten times, then twenty. The contacts seem bright.

I've not been used the DVD recently, but it the DVD/CdRom icon was shown in the File Explored. In the various attempts to resolve the problem though the Control Panel/Device Mngt, I probably disabled the unit as I thought that the device would have been recognised with the reboot. From this moment, the icon of the DVD/CdRom disappeared from the the File Explorer.

I looked also at the Regedit, to see if the "Upper Filters" and "LowerFilters" in the CdRom Class HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

could be deleted, but these items are not shown.

• JackE

Sorry, if the BIOS Information page still doesn't detect the ODD, then it's a likely hardware failure unrelated to any Windows settings. The most likely hardware failure is the ODD itself rather than the mainboard ODD data or power buss.

Google the part numbers shown below for vendors who ship new replacement ODDs to your location. Cost should be between $25 to $35usd. You can also google 'E5-573G' 'super multi-8x' for vendors who ship cheaper generic drives. The only drawback to generic drives is that the cosmetic bezel cover might not fit as well as the Acer parts but otherwise entirely compatible and functional.

KO.00807.020

KO.0080D.017

KO.0080F.008

Jack E/NJ

• John_27

Jack, Thank very much for your prompt support! I'll follow your advice. Regards

John_27

• JackE

Good luck! 🙂

Jack E/NJ