Need help upgrading storage - Acer Aspire R5-571TG Where do I buy a connector for SATA III SSD 1TB

Zeekin
Zeekin Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in Aspire Laptops

My laptop already has a 256 GB NVMe SSD
There is no Hard Drive Cable connector to add a 2.5 ssd hard drive as shown in the video below

1) Where do I buy a connector for SATA III SSD 1TB 2.5” ?
2) Please recommend a 1 TB NVME SSD that is compatible to replace the existing 256GB NVMe SSD

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answers

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,286 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Just to give you more information for your laptops full 2.5" installation parts and how to install the 2.5" HDD, as you need the below parts for securing a 2.5" HDD into your Aspire R5-571TG laptop SATA mobo plug and follow the replacing guide below, as this laptop has different parts to the usual 2.5" SATA drive laptops that have screws and a separate metal case, so buy and follow the guide below, its a simple process.

Also, your Aspire R5-571TG has a specified M.2 SSD of an interface PCI3x2 M.2 SSD type drive but its best to install a PCIe3x4 as these drives are backward compatible and a PCIe3x4 will give you the best performance, so install an M.2 SSD like a WD SN550 or a WD SN570 M.2 drive or the Samsung 860 or 970 EVO SATA M.2 SSD 1TB drives that will be your best option.

Aspire R5-571TG laptop 2.5" SATA III HDD parts:

• @Zeekin

I would like to provide some additional info which will really help you. 

Kindly go through the details given below.  The info provided below will be very helpful to get the current memory and ssd details of your computer and the options to upgrade it.  

Please visit the website given below.  There is an option to  "start your scan "  and " select your computer " .  Please chose the options and try it.  It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

https://www.crucial.com/

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Note: If you decide to buy you can always compare the prices by visiting other websites or stores and then you can decide.  We are providing the info of scan app just to show you the upgrade options.  You can even download similar scan apps from other memory upgrade websites too. 

To check the compatibility of ram which you can use on your computer.. Get CPUz and check it with that in SPD section of all the RAM and specs that you have, its a quick and simple way to check all OEM specs and what you have in your system. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Zeekin

Thank you for replying

I couldn't find the specified blue HDD caddy, and I'm wondering if there are alternative options you could recommend.

Getting the mentioned parts is challenging for me due to my location outside the US. As an alternative, I am considering upgrading to a 1 TB NVMe SSD to replace the existing 256 GB NVMe SSD. However, I'm uncertain whether my laptop model supports 1 TB NVMe SSDs, as there's information suggesting it may only accommodate up to 500 GB.

This is the SSD that is currently installed

• StevenGen
    Answer ✓

The M.2 SSD drive that is compatible with your Aspire R5-571TG is the PCIe3x2 which has a 2000MB/s read/write 2 lane port speeds, btw, you can put a PCIe3x4 that has a 4 lane port speed or even a Gen 4 as these M.2 drives are backward compatible but the PCIe3x2 are allot cheaper.

If you can get a PCIe3x2 of a 1TB capacity then its fine, if you can’t then you can fit a 1TB PCIe3x4 M.2 SSD drive.

In my opinion the WD SN550 or the SN570 M.2 SSD drives are the best, you can also look at the range of 1TB M.2 SSD drives from the manufacturers below drives, as they are the 512GB M.2 SSD drives fitted by Acer oem to the R5-571TG laptop. So these are the options that you have. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

These are the Aspire R5-571TG hard drive specs:

• Zeekin

I have found the M.2 SSD that you have reccomended on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-SN570-Internal-Solid/dp/B09HKDQ1RN/ref%3Dsr_1_3?crid=3A4UJ5ZR5P1DB&keywords=SN570%2BM.2%2BSSD%2B1tb&qid=1701156053&sprefix=sn570%2Bm.2%2Bssd%2B1tb%2Caps%2C333&sr=8-3&th=1

1. I'm new to buying PC components, so I'm wondering if the price for this is reasonable?
    2. Can you tell me the maximum amount of M.2 storage that my laptop can handle?
    3. When moving data from my current M.2 drive to a new 1TB drive, what tools do I need?

• StevenGen
    edited November 2023

With hard drives, your laptop can have 1x M.2 SSD drive upt to 1TB and 1x 2.5" SATA III drive of upt to 2TB, so total you can have 3TB storage space on your laptop. Also, and when you buy a boot M.2 SSD drive and you should ask yourself this "is your data worth $67 and to be put on a known M.2 SSD drive?" like from a known manufacturer like Western Digital and the answer should be YES. As that is why I'm recommending this drive for you that will work perfectly with your laptop.

Your Q#2, "When moving data from my current M.2 drive to a new 1TB drive, what tools do I need?" with Western Digital drives they use the Acronis True Image for Western Digital which does the following:

Acronis True Image for Western Digital features the ability to:

• Back up operating systems, applications, settings and individual files on Windows and macOS
    • Recover files and folders
    • Clone internal drives

Look here at the Acronis "Instructions and Release Notes" and download the software here Download for Windows, as this software will copy an exact copy of your boot M.2 SSD drive onto your new 1TB M.2 SSD.