Acer R15 R5-571tg-78G8 PCIE NVME SSD Upgrade Successful !

Naveen09y
Naveen09y Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hello Everyone ! I hope this will help those who are looking to upgrade the SSD of Acer R15 . I have Acer r5-571tg-78g8. I have successfully booted Windows 10 OS using PCIE NVME M.2 256 GB SSD. Below is the link for the Gigabyte SSD that I used. I am getting awesome speed now.

I used Easeus partition master software and selected the option Migrate OS>>then in boot menu change the sequence to give priority to the New SSD>>Restart>>It's working flawlessly. 
Link for the SSD
https://www.gigabyte.com/Solid-State-Drive/GIGABYTE-NVMe-SSD-256GB#kf

• Form Factor: M.2 2280
  • Interface: PCI-Express 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3
  • Total Capacity: 256GB*
  • Sequential Read Speed : up to 1700 MB/s**
  • Sequential Write speed : up to 1100 MB/s**
  • HMB (Host Memory Buffer) supported
  • TRIM & S.M.A.R.T supported

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,477 Trailblazer
    Good for you! Thanks for report. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• WCM5683
    WCM5683 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

YOU have NO idea how much this post helped me with my upgrade!!! 

The question before I order. I am assuming you left the HDD in as extra storage correct?

I am a professor at a university and they gave me a new laptop May 2020 due to COVID and work at home. It is a Dell Latitude with a 256GB SSD 8GB Ram i5 quad-core. From off to desktop takes 6 seconds. I'm not sure of the other specs b/c the university has it locked down so I cannot run any programs unless I go through them. It takes almost 3 minutes to desktop on my 78G8 Acer like yours. How much faster does this make this already good workhorse may I ask?
  • Naveen09y
    Naveen09y Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hello, 
    In my case, I've removed the HDD and now using it as an external drive. I had a spare msata ssd ( I used a 2.5 inch case for it) and have replaced the HDD as well. You can use the HDD as a secondary drive if you wish ( I would suggest to remove the hdd once and make nvme ssd as os drive ) then place the hdd again in place )

So now I've 2 ssds in the laptop ( nvme Gigabyte one as the OS drive ) and msata ( with 2.5 inch case ) as a secondary one.

It now boots within 8 seconds approx ( you can also remove unnecessary startup apps from task manager ). Apps install and open in seconds now.

It feels like using a new laptop now. :)
  • WCM5683

Tinkerer

Well I certainly hope that you are correct and see no reason why you would just make something up. This post is the only one across the net that I can find that 100% confirms that it will accept the m.2 nvme 3.0 x4 M keyed pcie and work. The company could not even tell me what the slot on this motherboard is for or capable of. I cannot find a service manual on this particular model, however, if it what I show in the pictures will work, then this laptop was made to be way ahead of it's time. That's why I ordered it to begin with even though it's only a dual core i7. With this upgrade and the ram at 12 it should be as fast as my university laptop at a quad core in my opinion "should be". I have been told that it may work but that it may be half of the ability of the drive, meaning read/write speeds. I do not know why that would be. 

I have a question. Since mine did not come with a screw I ordered a package from amazon of various items along with screws ($6) lol. It came with the heatsink you see if the pics come thru. I am not a gamer, however, I do love playing them on PS and Xbox. I've never gotten into PC gaming. I ordered this strictly as a fast business laptop. I have saw research where using a heatsink yields faster speeds than not using one, although, I didn't purchase the WD with one it happen to be in the package. I'm certain it's low quality. Would you install anyways?

So you used the free version of Easeus and honestly just chose Migrate OS? Does that mirror your HDD to your SDD? Or how does it Migrate the OS only? Wouldn't it be better to start with a at this point fresh copy of Windows 10 v.2004? Then yes you would have to reinstall your programs, however, it would be clean, free of Malware (if any was hiding) and have nothing but the OS and programs you want. Your "user" files would be on the HDD unless I am forgetting something.

As for getting Win10 onto SSD wha't it like when you install SSD flip and hit the power? Does it see it? Or do you have to "tweak" things? Lastly, How's the WD SSD software that comes with it? Or i'm sure you have to d/l? Or do you use 3rd party SSD "Carekits"?

Thanks! Your helpful!
  • WCM5683

Tinkerer

Naveen09y said:
    Hello, 
    In my case, I've removed the HDD and now using it as an external drive. I had a spare msata ssd ( I used a 2.5 inch case for it) and have replaced the HDD as well. You can use the HDD as a secondary drive if you wish ( I would suggest to remove the hdd once and make nvme ssd as os drive ) then place the hdd again in place )

So now I've 2 ssds in the laptop ( nvme Gigabyte one as the OS drive ) and msata ( with 2.5 inch case ) as a secondary one.

It now boots within 8 seconds approx ( you can also remove unnecessary startup apps from task manager ). Apps install and open in seconds now.

It feels like using a new laptop now. :)
    I forgot one have you used anything on it like CrystalDisk to see the actual speeds? It has to be a crazy difference and YES FEEL LIKE A NEW LAPTOP!!!

• MarianoJF88
    MarianoJF88 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello, I’ve tried to upgrade also my laptop with a Samsun 970 Evo NVMe M.2 500gb however I can’t initialize the disk and an error about no existing disk has pop up :( can anybody share your comments pls!!, the bios and also windows partitions management detect the SSD but I can not do anything
  • JackE

This is an old thread. It's best for you to start your own new thread. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• andrebepe
    andrebepe Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have had the same error as @MarianoJF88 and I would like to know if there is anyone that could help with this issue.
  • JackE
    This is an old thread. It's best for you to start your own new thread by clicking on the green ask a question button in the upper right corner of the screen.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Most of the Aspire R5-571TG systems only support a SATA drive in the M.2 slot. I believe that user was trying to put an NVMe drive in instead. I believe users who have successfully installed an NVMe drive have only been able to do it with drives that support down revving to x1.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.