Helios Neo 16 Having problems with freezing and PredatorSense

2»

Answers

• jhug87
    jhug87 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

So I contacted Bestbuy, they weren't much help. They said I'd have to bring it in and pay to have it diagnosed before they could do any warranty. I'll contact Acer tech support first.

HOWEVER, I'm wondering if heat actually is the problem, as I just ran another stress test and it froze THREE seconds into the test, but the temps never even had a chance to rise this time.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,767 Trailblazer

Weird. Cores damaged? Thermal module loose?

What was BestBuy's diagnostic fee? Because if you arrange for warranty service, mail/insurance charges will likely apply? Probably at least $30 USPS. Beyond the diagnostic fee, not sure what charges apply if BestBuy arranges warranty service.

Jack E/NJ

• jhug87

Alright so here's the latest. Took it to Bestbuy, they wanted to charge me $100 just to look at it and if it WAS something they had to work on it would've been extra.

So I ended up going back and forth with Acer diagnostics, then finally paid $60 to have it shipped to them. They simply reinstalled windows and it stress tested with no problems for 4 hours and said there was no issue. Lo and behold, I tried it when I got it back and it seemed to stress test with no issues. Pretty much as soon as I started updating drivers and things it went right back to crashing.

I'm in the midst of doing another fresh install and trying to troubleshoot which driver is causing this.. but from one of my first tests it actually might be when I update my Nvidia drivers. And that's a problem because they need to be up to date. I'll throw in some more info after I've done some more troubleshooting

• JackE

And that's a problem because they need to be up to date.

The Acer OEM nvidia drivers should already be up to date for the proprietary Acer mainboard. If the OEM drivers seem to work OK, do NOT install generic nvidia drivers even if the dates seem newer.

I hope your fresh install is being done from the hidden Acer OEM Windows recovery partition and NOT from a generic Windows version using Microsoft's media creation tool version. You'll be back to where you started if using generic version and may render the hidden OEM recovery partition inaccessible.

Jack E/NJ

• jhug87

The fresh install is being done through the 'Reset This PC' option, then using local files. So I assume it's the Acer partition.

I started from scratch again and only updated the windows updates that popped up. The freezing started again after I did that. I went to the 'Uninstall updates' option and one by one removed the following 4 updates. Each one it was still freezing upon stress test, until I finally removed the last one at the bottom. The stress test stopped freezing.

I restarted and I'm testing again as I type, but I just went back into the 'Uninstall updates' tab and the last one is back on there as if it was somehow reinstalled. So far the stress test is going well beyond what it normally freezes at, but I'm kinda confused by that.

So is it certain Windows Updates that are doing this? Should I just never update any windows updates?

• JackE

So is it certain Windows Updates that are doing this? Should I just never update any windows updates?

Updates often have bugs that hopefully are eventually fixed. So what I do is first make sure System Protection is turned on in Control Panel's restore point app. Also increase default restore point space. Then turn on metered internet connection to control when to update. Makes it easier to notice an errant update and reverse it.

Jack E/NJ

• Axxo
    Axxo Member, Ally Posts: 440

Here are some of the steps to speed up your computer.  

Try windows + r -  on the run window - type msconfig  - click ok  
    click on services
    check - hide all microsoft services 
    click on disable all
    click on startup 
    disable all the startup items 
    click on apply - ok  - restart the computer.     Loading process will be very fast now..

Note:
    You can always enable the services and startup items later or set it to
    normal startup from selective startup later on the General tab  

Try windows + r - on the run window - type appwiz.cpl  - click ok  
    it will show you the list of programs
    remove all the unwanted third party programs. 
    Please don’t remove any drivers.  
    If you are not sure , please don’t remove it.  

Try windows + r -
    on the run window type temp - click ok -  it will show you the bunch of
    files -  try ctrl + a - select all files - press the shift key and click
    on delete files 

Try windows + r - on the run window type 
    %temp%  - click ok  - It will show you the bunch of files -  try ctrl + a
    - select all files - press the shift key and click on delete files 

If you are not able to remove some files - click on skip and then click click on continue.. 

Try windows + r  - on the run window - type cleanmgr - click ok
    click on all the boxes except recycle bin and thumnail
    Delete the items which are checked 

Try windows x - on the menu - chose command prompt admin or power shell admin 
    click on yes 
    on the blue or black window  type sfc /scannow 
    It will be running till 100 %

Try to do a chrome reset 
    open chrome
    click on three dots on top right corner 
    click on settings
    Scroll down - go to advanced
    click on restore setting to default
    you will see reset settings - cancel
    click on reset settings 
    Open chrome 
    it will work faster now

If it is still not working then we have to do a refresh and reset

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 

or 

on start - type here to search - type reset this pc - click on reset this pc on the top  - click on get started 

or

Try windows + r using keyboard
    on run window - type systemreset

It will show you keep my files and remove everything
    chose keep my files 
    chose the account - type the password - click on local reinstall - click on reset 
    It will be in progress.. 
    login to computer and start using the computer. 
    If it is still not working 

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 
    chose remove everything 
    click on local reinstall - just remove my files - click on reset
    It will be in progress

Note:

If you do refresh ( keep my
    files ) -  all your personal files like pictures, music , documents ,
    videos  will still be intact.   Only the applications will be lost

If
    you do reset  ( remove everything )  - you are doing a factory
    default.   It will become like a day one computer.    It will wipe out
    everything and take your computer to day one like a new computer. 

You can also do the recovery in an alternative way..

There
    are two alt keys on the keyboard.  If you look at the bottom row of
    keyboard you can see the one on the left side of space bar and the other
    on the right side of space bar.  The alt key on the right side will be
    looking like alt, alt gr or alt car.  Turn off the computer.  Hold the
    alt key on the left and tap f10 continuously.   It will go to repair
    mode. It will show you chose an option, continue, troubleshoot.   If it
    is not going to repair mode, turn off the computer.  Turn on the
    computer.  Hold the right alt key ( alt gr or alt car or alt )  and then
    tap f10 continuously.  It will go to chose an option continue and
    troubleshoot..

It will show you chose an option, continue, troubleshoot Go to troubleshoot  -  click on reset this pc - click on keep my files  ( only applications will be lost )   choose your account and type your password   - click on local reinstall  - click on reset It will be in progress 

If the keep my files option is not working 

Go to troubleshoot  -  click on reset this pc – click on remove everything
    – click on local reinstall – just remove my files – click on reset 
    It will reinstall windows. 

If the just remove my files is not working..

Go to troubleshoot  -  click on reset this pc – click on remove everything
    – click on local reinstall – Fully clean the drive – click on reset 
    It will reinstall windows. 

Note: You can also go to chose an option , continue , troubleshoot by holding the alt key + tapping f10 
    or alt gr + tapping f10 on the keyboard while turning on the computer.  Once you see the troubleshoot option, you can stop tapping the f10 and stop holding the alt key.  Then you can try the keep my files and
    remove everything ( just remove by files and fully clean the drive ) by following the steps which was mentioned above.