i need advice on bios update for predator ph317-51. If i update the BIOS will it reconfigure back

Options
twannyriverz45
twannyriverz45 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in Predator Laptops

I'm in a bit of a pickle and could use some advice, I'm going to try to explain this the best I can, so after years of having my Helios 300 ph317-51 I suppose from me changing settings over the years the pc configured itself so now use windows for everything drivers, bios, you name it they took over it. my question is, if I update bios will it reconfigure everything back to run off the system instead of windows drivers, settings, bios? and if so do I start with the oldest bios update until all of them are reinstalled? or just the latest version? thank you anyone who takes the time to comment back to me. happy thanksgiving and God bless…

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    Options

The answer is NO, as your laptop will operate like before as you will be able to update all its drivers the same way as before and like its always been done😂 where did you getthis isea from?

The last bios update for your Predator Helios PH317-51 was the Version 1.21 released on 2018/11/15 and this bios update has upgraded the following - 1. Add SCCM solution to Lock TimeOut variable. 2. Update Intel ME Firmware 11.8.55.3510. 3. Update MCU to M2A906E9_00000099_0000009A.

Let's break what the bios Version 1.21 does:

#1. Add SCCM solution to Lock TimeOut variable - The Lock TimeOut variable in a System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) its used to control the maximum time a task sequence step can wait for a specific condition before timing out. If the condition is not met within the specified timeout, the step fails.

#2. Update Intel ME Firmware 11.8.55.3510 - this new bios update is updating the firmware of the Intel Management Engine (ME) firmware that is a crucial component found in many modern Intel-based computers, especially those with Intel chipsets.

#3. Update MCU to M2A906E9_00000099_0000009A - The MCU (Microcode Update) version M2A906E9_00000099_0000009A corresponds to a specific update applied to the BIOS of certain devices. The MCU refers to the microcode for the central processing unit (CPU). It contains instructions that help the CPU perform specific tasks and improve its functionality.

So basically, that is all that the Version 1.21 bios update does, and also note that the bios Version 1.21 is also accumulative, which means that if your laptop only has bios Version 1.08 installed, then installing Version 1.21 will update everything that are in bios version updates from version 1.09 to version 1.20 including version 1.21 of course.