Acer Predator Helios 300 (PH315-52) SSD Upgrade, want to know can i upgrade to 4TB

Options
BullpupGamingGuy
BullpupGamingGuy Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in Predator Laptops

Hello,

I was wondering if it is safe for my to upgrade my Predator Helios 300 (PH315-52) storage to a:

1x 870 EVO 4TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD

and

2x Acer Predator GM7000 4TB NVMe Gen4 Gaming SSD, M.2 2280, Compatible with PS5, PCIe 4.0 Internal PC Solid State Hard Drive

Everywhere I have read said the maximum storage capacity is 8TB via a 4TB SATA III internal SSD and 2x 2TB NVMe SSD's.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    Options

The 4TB SATA III drive is not specifically listed as compatible by Acer in the PH315-52 laptop model, but higher-capacity M.2 drives should work as long as they meet the specified formatting requirements for windows OS which theoretically is that the GUID (GPT) format can handle 4TB HDDs but the MBR/Legacy format does NOT, as its restricted to a max of 2TB HDD.

The official recommendation for optimal compatibility is listed by Acer with the specs below for the PH315-52 model laptop, so the below specs are the Acer recommended Storage Subsystem Specs and I can't guarantee you that a 4TB HDD will work, do at your own risk.

M.2 SSD Drives for the PH315-52

2.5" SATA III Mechanical Drives for the PH315-52

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,780 Pathfinder
    Options

@BullpupGamingGuy

There is no capacity limit for both SATA and M.2 slots for this model.

For the M.2 slot, this model support PCIe Gen 3 maximum so running a Gen 4 drive will limit the speed to Gen 3 (~3500MB/s RW).

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!