Cannot ping or reach Wifi after idle, even if still connected - Aspire 7 A715-51G

DaveTwoWheels
DaveTwoWheels Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Hi:

I have a super weird problem with my new Aspire 7 A715-51G Part Number: NH.QGCAA.003. It came with windows home, but I upgraded to Windows 11 pro.

The issue is that if I leave it idel for maybe 30 minuyes, I cannot ping it or reach it with RDP, which is important to me. I can unlock the laptop and the WIFI appears to be working perfectly, but I cannot ping or RDP unless I turn Wi-Fi off and back on.

I've tried everything I can, including reinstalling windows several times, replacing/updating the driver for the MediaTek Wi-Fi 6 MT7921 Wireless LAN Card, ensuring the device is not set to sleep (it is not), etc.

This is driving me crazy. I found some references to turning off power management, but that tab does not appear in my device manager, even after trying some registry hacks found online to enable it.

I'm wondering if my Asus ZenWiFi router could be the problem, but I don't have it with other laptops on the same LAN, just the new ACER.

HELP!

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,459 Pathfinder
    edited November 2023

Disable Power Saving Mode for wifi Adapters in Windows

By default, the power saving mode is enabled in Windows for most classes of hardware. Windows can automatically turn off devices in order to save laptop battery power. Try to disable the power-saving mode for your wireless network adapters.

1. Open the Device Manager (devmgmt.msc);
    2. Expand the Network Adapters section and find your Wi-Fi adapter (usually it has Wireless or 802.11 in its name), then open its properties;
    3. Go to the Power Management tab and uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Save the changes by clicking OK. 

If you have multiple network adapters in your computer/laptop, including the Ethernet NICs (for example, Realtek PCI-E Controller), you must disable power saving mode in their properties as well.

Enable maximum performance from Power Plan

Go to the Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change plan settings (It should in front or right side of Selected powerPlan) -> Change advanced power settings -> Wireless adapter settings -> Power saving mode -> set Maximum performance (In plugged in and battery both)

Apply and OK

(If you not able to find then click on Windows icon, search for Edit power plan then click on top result)

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • DaveTwoWheels

Tinkerer

Unfortunately, I do not have the power management tab in the wifi properties of device manager, and I could not get it to show up even with registry hacks. Do others using Windows 11 pro with "modern sleep" have this tab for the wifi adapter?

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 7,459 Pathfinder
    edited November 2023

yes, that's in Windows 11. How did you updated your wifi driver? What version it is? Check using device

Follow this then and check

Enable maximum performance from Power Plan

Go to the Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change plan settings (It should in front or right side of Selected powerPlan) -> Change advanced power settings -> Wireless adapter settings -> Power saving mode -> set Maximum performance (In plugged in and battery both)

Apply and OK

(If you not able to find then click on Windows icon, search for Edit power plan then click on top result)

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • DaveTwoWheels

Tinkerer

No such option:

the only way I can RDP into the Aspire 7 while plugged in and idle is using wired ethernet.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,838 Trailblazer

Windows11 23H2 and Intel Wi-Fi adapters no longer have these "Power Management" options, even changing the Power Plan. it is all controlled by S0 Modern Standby. I also believe it may have something to do with the Upgrade to Pro. Check BIOS there should be an option to Wake on LAN (see picture), enable that (may require Ctrl+S first in BIOS to see these settings). Consider Reset this PC without losing your files.

• DaveTwoWheels

Tinkerer

I've reset the computer a couple times - the last time doing a full reset and download, and no change in behavior.

I might start looking at the router harder, since the wifi is still working when I have this problem. in order words if I unlock the computer and start surfing the internet, I STILL cannot ping it. the only way to get back to being able to ping or RDP is to simply turn off wifi and then turn in it on - lickety split. But that won't help if I am not home