Travelmate TMB1118-M won't wake from sleep & Windows 10 reports wrong time

Options
mmunu
mmunu Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in TravelMate and Extensa

Hi! I've had my Travelmate TMB1118-M for 2 years and never had any problems.
Recently it fails to wake from sleep if I leave it for too long (guess it falls into some deeper S state). Nothing wakes it up, I have to hold the power button until it shuts down and the turn it on again from scratch.

Tried every suggestion I could find on the internet, nothing worked (many windows settings, some command line tweaks, updating drivers, bios settings, etc).
I thought it could be from some botched driver update, so I reinstalled windows. The problem persisted.

Even tried booting into linux, but the problem persists.

This makes me think it's a hardware problem, maybe the BIOS? I'm not sure when the BIOS was updated to 1.33, but it wasn't close to when the problem started, so I'm not that sure it is causing the problem.

What started happening at the same time as this "sleep paralysis" was the windows clock showing wrong time. However, changing the Windows settings did nothing.

So I thought it could be the buton cell battery on the motherboard, but checking it with a multimeter show 3.1V. In fact, the BIOS keeps the correct time and settings, so I was skeptical it would be the problem, but checked it anyways.

I'm stuck. Any suggestions?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

I assume you mean the TravelMate B118-M, there are no B1118 models. Are you running Windows 10 or Windows 11? If the Windows clock is showing the wrong time, there are a number of things that can happen, including the symptoms you are seeing. 1.33 is the latest BIOS, and that is unlikely to be the issue. Much more likely (though really early for a failure) is the RTC battery. If it has failed the CMOS time settings will be reset each time the system is off for any length of time. To replace that battery you remove 11 screws from the base cover (two of which are under the HDD door) and take it off. Disconnect the main battery then remove the RTC battery (center top on this image):

I believe it's a standard 2032 coin cell, so very affordable and easy to source.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,883 Trailblazer
    Options

As you suggested this is probably Windows11 23H2 S0 Modern Stand-By causing the wake fail issue. Check your W11 version and build, you should be on 23H2 223631.2715, if not Check for updates. Uninstall both Hibernate and Fast Startup in "Choose what closing the lid does" Power Plan. Try not to abort or force shutdown with the power button as this corrupts system files. If you can boot to Windows run these 2 commands while your internet is working, open the Command Prompt as Administrator and paste this: Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and press Enter, that should complete successfully. Then type this in the command prompt window: SFC /scannow and press Enter. This will repair some system files, repeat the command till you see: "….found no integrity violations". Change you Power Plan to Balanced and reset the plan to factory defaults. If still issues do a clean install of windows11: https://www.elevenforum.com/t/clean-install-windows-11.99/

• mmunu
    mmunu Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you both for your replies.
    Yeah, I thought the culprit was the OS but the computer behaves the same way under Windows 10 and Manjaro Linux. That made me think the CMOS battery was bad, so I removed it from the computer and tested with a multimeter and it seems to be fine. Besides, the BIOS keeps date and time correctly but windows doesn't.
    I also tried downgrading the BIOS but got the same problem.

Well, I'm really lost on this one. If I figure it out I'll post the solution here

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

So, how wrong is the Windows time? Is it off by an even number or hours, or by some weird number of seconds? If even it might be a time zone issue…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.