Bluetooth seems to be missing - where should it be on my Acer Aspire 5 A515 - 56

Options
Figgis
Figgis Member Posts: 58 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in Aspire Laptops

Bluetooth seems to be missing - where should it be on my Acer Aspire 5 A515 - 56 laptop.

Although I have had my laptop for a year I'm only using it regularly now as I preferred my old Acer. I don't know how to get Bluetooth working. It used to be in the taskbar of my old PC and

I could click it and select send or receive a file.

I initiated troubleshooting and see a problem was detected but I don't know where to go next..

It is irritating when something that worked well in the past no longer works. Please help me get this working.

Answers

• Figgis
    Options

Thanks for replying

This is the website for my Acer. How do I know which driver to download.

• Figgis
    Options

I decided to download the two newer drivers, restarted my PC and heyho Bluetooth was in my taskbar. When I select the Bluetooth icon I can send or receive a file.

Thank you GAMING6698 for pointing me in the right direction.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

The correct way to choose is to open Device Manager and look at which card you have installed. It should be shown both under Bluetooth and Network, since the card does both Bluetooth and WiFi. Since the Mediatek driver worked for you then you must have the MT7921 card…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Figgis
    Options

Billsey

Bluetooth was not showing in device manager or anywhere until I downloaded the drivers. Then it was visible in the task bar and device manager. It's now working ok.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

That's why you have to turn on the show hidden devices option in Device Manager. The device will show as a grayed out entry because the system thinks it has been removed.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Figgis
    Options

Bluetooth wasn't hidden, it just wasn't there. I have used Device Manager a lot and know about hidden devices. The little arrow beside the device name is a clue.

• Figgis
    Options

Note to self: Bluetooth Mediatek driver MT7921 is the correct one to install.for my PC.

Why do I have to re-install the Bluetooth driver from time to time. I last reinstalled in November 2023. What happens to it??

• Figgis
    Options

19 March 2024

Bluetooth missing once again. Why does this keep happening?

My old Acer Aspire is 8 years old and it still shows Bluetooth in the notifications and it is always there.

• Figgis
    Options

Bluetooth is missing once again. Troubleshooting just says Bluetooth is not on this device. What happens to it?

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,824 Pathfinder
    Options

@Figgis

Do you see the Bluetooth section in the device manager?

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Figgis
    Options

@AnhEZ28

No, it is not there nor is it a hidden device. Every 4/5 weeks I notice Bluetooth has gone. I posted on here most times it happens but no one can explain why it's happening. My old Acer never 'lost' Bluetooth and if I turn it on now it is still there. The only way to solve it on my newish Win 11 Acer is to download the Bluetooth drivers and wait for Windows to install them when I next switch on.

Bluetooth is missing once again. Troubleshooting just says Bluetooth is not on this device. What happens to it??????

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@Figgis

Then you can try to reinstall the Wifi Driver first.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • Figgis
    edited May 3
    Options

@AnhEZ28

In my reply I said "The only way to solve it on my newish Win 11 Acer is to download the Bluetooth drivers and wait for Windows to install them when I next switch on"

That does not explain why it disappears or uninstalls about once per month. I should not have to keep reinstalling it. There is something wrong somewhere. I hoped someone in the Acer Community could tell me what and how to stop it from happening.

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@Figgis

If you don't see any triangles in the device manager when the Bluetooth disappears, then the problem is usually the faulty WiFi + Bluetooth MT7921 card. Many users reported issues with Wifi problem or Bluetooth gone missing with this card. The solution is to replace the WiFi card under warranty or by yourself. I recommend using the AX200 or AX210 card.

• Figgis
    Options

@AnhEZ28 thanks for replying.

I thought that Windows 11 was overwriting the driver each time it downloaded a specific update.

If it is a faulty WiFi + Bluetooth MT7921 card do I have to return the laptop to have a new card installed?

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@Figgis

Yes, if they determine that card is faulty, they will replace it for you.

• Figgis
    Options

@AnhEZ28

I may put up with this for now as I can't be without my laptop for a week or so. Thanks to you I know what the problem is and I know how to get Bluetooth working again. I'm not even a tad technical so I can't install the card myself. Even if I could do it, I would invalidate the warranty.

Thanks for your help on this.