Acer Predator Triton 17x PTX17-71 - disable RAID and fresh Windows install

Options
misahale
misahale Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi All,

I just bought a new Acer Predator Triton 17x at a sale and so far I'm pretty happy with the performance.

However, I'm having some issues with Nvidia's Automatic Display Select mode, which allows switching (supposedly) seamlessly between integrated and discrete graphics. There's a lot of stuttering and freezing when switching to the Nvidia GPU, and also whenever I try to work with an external display (HDMI connection to a laptop screen or casting to a smart TV). Additionally, some apps are blurry and no amount of fidgeting with the display scaling, running them in high DPS compatibility mode, etc seem to fix this.

For the reasons above, after a long troubleshooting process and looking for solutions on the Internet, I decided to make a fresh Windows installation.

The issue is that the PC came with two 2TB SSDs configured in RAID 0 through Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management. I can't disable this RAID through the Intel apps, since that's where Windows is installed. When I try to install Windows, the installer doesn't see the RAID or any of the drives. I have no option to disable the RAID in the BIOS. Ctrl+S, Ctrl+K, Ctrl+L shortcuts in the BIOS don't open any secret menus and I seem to be locked out of the option to disable RAID. I haven't found a way to run the BIOS in Legacy mode - everything I found online fails, including enabling safeboot.

The only (probably) viable solution which I found is to delete the RAID during Windows installation by going to diskpart in cmd, selecting the RAID and cleaning it. In diskpart, I only see the RAID as 1 single disk.

Now, my questions are:

1. Will I void the warranty if I reinstall Windows?
  2. Do I even need a RAID 0? I will probably need to install Linux alongside Windows at some point, and would rather have 2 separate disks - 1 for each OS.
  3. Will the disk become visible in the Windows installer after I clean it in diskpart, so I can continue with a fresh installation?

Any other feedback regarding this will be greatly appreciated, as the resources I found for this laptop are pretty limited.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Below are some of the laptop specs:

System Model	Predator PTX17-71
System Type	x64-based PC
Processor	13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900HX, 2200 Mhz, 24 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date	INSYDE Corp. V1.06, 14/09/2023
SMBIOS Version	3.4
Embedded Controller Version	1.03
BIOS Mode	UEFI
BaseBoard Product	Carrera_RTX
BaseBoard Version	V1.06
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)	64.0 GB

Intel(R) UHD Graphics
Adapter Type	Intel(R) RaptorLake-S Mobile Graphics Controller, Intel Corporation compatible

Driver Version	31.0.101.4146
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Laptop GPU
Adapter Type	NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Laptop GPU, NVIDIA compatible
Driver Version	31.0.15.4617
GeForce Game Ready Driver 546.17

Port 2 PCIe SSD NVMe Micron_3400_MTFDKBA2T0TFH  
Port 1 PCIe SSD NVMe Micron_3400_MTFDKBA2T0TFH  

And that's what I see in diskpart:

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online         3815 GB     8 MB        *

DISKPART> select disk 0
Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> detail disk
Intel Raid 0 Volume
Disk ID: {A53142FD-EA32-44DA-A3AD-D303A5C609DB}
Type   : RAID
Path   : 1
Target : 0
LUN ID : 0
Location Path : PCIROOT(0)#PCI(0E00)#RAID(P01T00L00)
Current Read-only State : No
Read-only  : No
Boot Disk  : Yes
Pagefile Disk  : Yes
Hibernation File Disk  : No
Crashdump Disk  : Yes
Clustered Disk  : No
  Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info
  ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------
  Volume 0     C   Acer         NTFS   Partition   3814 GB  Healthy    Boot
  Volume 1         ESP          FAT32  Partition    260 MB  Healthy    System
  Volume 2         Recovery     NTFS   Partition   1024 MB  Healthy    Hidden

Best Answer

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,780 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

@misahale

The warranty will not be voided if you reinstall Windows.

If you want to disable RAID, go to the Main tab of the BIOS and press CTRL+S. Disable the VMD controller.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!

Answers