Acer Triton 500 PT515-5 when Use Thunderbolt 3 Port it's limited to 3840x1600@144HZ

Options
Serageldin
Serageldin Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in Predator Laptops

HI everyone,I have a Problem regarding my Acer Triton 500 PT515-51 I7-8750H and RTX 2080 Max-Qi have an external Monitor LG 38wn95c-w Every Time I use DP it works fine and with max Settings 3840x1600 @ 144hz RGB Color Profile Variable Refresh Enabled and HDR too when i Use the Thunderbolt 3 Port it's limited to 3840x1600@144Hz with YCbCr4:2:2 without HDR although i used another Laptop with the same Monitor and works fine so the Problem is not from the Monitor Thunderbolt 3 port in the Monitor is capable for such resolution and used too expensive Thunderbolt cables too and same problem so i am Convinced that the Problem with my Laptop or at least Firmware driver something like this although i tried everything it's very hard to find a clue so do you have anything to help me with this dilemma .it's like Thunderbolt3 port in my laptop acts like dp1.2 not 1.4

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    Options

Your LG UltraWide 38WN95C-W.AUU in its LG manual, has the following recommended specs that you should use for its resolution and refresher rates, do NOT use the MAX resolution and refresher rate, always use the Recommended resolution and refresher rate:

• Recommended Resolution in HDMI is 3840x1600 @ 75Hz and the Max in HDMI is 3840x1600 @ 75Hz
    • Recommended Resolution in Thunderbolt TM 3/DP is 3840 x 1600 @ 120Hz and the Max in Thunderbolt TM 3 / DP is 3840x1600 @ 144Hz

Its not recommended that you run this monitor at its max and that is why you are getting those inconsistencies with your display. Connect your PT515-51 laptops with a Mini DisplayPort to Display Port cable, as that way you will be able to use the monitor to its max and best resolution and refresher rate of 120Hz.

Also read this caution from your monitors manual about Thunderbolt TM 3 port:

• Serageldin
    edited November 2023
    Options

Thanks for your answer but the problem is when i use my friends Laptop acer helios it gives me my max resolution@144 with hdr too also my mac and other Laptops ,so i suppose it has nothing to do with the Monitor

And from the Manual also it’s written that the Dp recommended is also @ 120 Hz but also works fine with HDR @144hz

So what do you think would cause the problem then

One last thing i just used the Monitor with Thunderbolt 3 @120Hz still doesn’t give me HDR or RGB color just for proving my point

Thanks anyway for your help and effort really appreciated

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,780 Pathfinder
    Options

@Serageldin

The Thunderbolt 3 only has DP 1.2 which there will be some bandwidth limitation when using 3840x1600 @ 144Hz. You can try lowering the refresh rate to 75Hz or 60Hz to see if it lets you change to RGB.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Serageldin
    Options

thanks a lot could you send me the Part that tells that Thunderbolt 3 has only 1.2 dp

Cause that is what I thought but couldn’t get any data-sheet to support my hypothesis

Thanks alot again works fine when I lower the refresh rate to 60hz and that leaves me with only DP 1.4 to use afterwards 😅

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,780 Pathfinder
    Options
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Serageldin
    Options

thanks a lot now i can rest in Peace LOL 😂