Acer predator Helios Helios 300 ph315-53-72 mid 2020 with rtx2060

EFrog
EFrog Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello I bought this laptop in 2020, last Friday the 10th my laptop has turned off during a gaming session temps weren't high and hasn't turned on since, I got a new battery and everything is there anything I can do? There are no videos covering this model and warranty ran out, Acer wants $900 to fix it and that's just too much.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,748 Trailblazer

This Laptopmedia vid of your laptop shows you where the CMOS capsule is located and how to unseat and reseat the 2 DDR4 modules: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9ncDeiR6Ko
    Power drain, RAM slot check and CMOS/BIOS reset: Open the back of the laptop and disconnect the battery cable from the motherboard. Locate the CMOS module (with 2 twisted wires Red and Black, see picture with the red circle below)) and remove the coin battery. Shorten the +/- contacts inside the CMOS capsule for 2 seconds with a bended paperclip and put the coin battery back with the + sign facing up, close the CMOS capsule. Unseat and firmly seat the 2 DDR4 modules (check the video) Next, press the Power Button on the keyboard for 10-15 seconds after that reconnect the battery cable to the motherboard. Close the laptop, plug-in the adapter and try to boot.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,889 Trailblazer
    edited November 2023

It would help if you would tell us what Acer diagnosed your laptops problem to be for charging you $900 dollars for a fix😀? As $900 dollars seems like they will change the mainboard and there is something wrong with the mainboard, as and if Acer diagnosed your mainboard fully, and on your main power rail one of the mosats burned out at either the cpu or the gpu, that mosat must have allowed a high current into either your cpu or gpu, which then your cpu or a gpu get burned out and either one or both are damaged by that high current, hence and why your laptop died and doesn't turn anymore and Acer want $900 for a new mainboard that needs replacing, this could be one of the reasons.

As if its a minor issue, which I don't think that it is, as Acer charging $900 for repairs means that there must be something major wrong with your mainboard for them to charge that sort of money! As doing a Hard Reset like you are instructed above, is useless, if the cpu or gpu is burned out, as any reset or anything will do nothing, as a reset all it does is it unfreeze the IO and the Chipset and the bios chips that could be frozen, restricting your laptop from turning on, if that doesn't work then your laptop must have a power rail problem or an eDP cabling problem or a screen problem or at worst which are all minor issues and can be fixed, while a burnt cpu or gpu means you need a new mainboard, which what I think that Acer has probably diagnosed.

• EFrog

The only reason I could surmise for the price was it was out of warranty, they wasn't anything diagnosed yet it's just the cost to send it in.

• EFrog

So the first picture is what I assume is the cmos battery is and the second picture is to show the small differences in the board that was present in that video

• EFrog

This is a follow up to the first image above because idk how to use these forums correctly