How to change the keyboard lighting in ubuntu operating system for Acer Predator Helios 16 (PH 16-71

premkjain
premkjain Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I have dual booted my laptop with windows and ubuntu, now the keyboard light in ubuntu is always Start type which is the same as during the laptop boot. Now how do I change the keyboard lighting while boot time and in ubuntu os. (POV: Predator sence dosen't work in ubuntu).

Answers

• a_happy_laptop_user
    a_happy_laptop_user Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon

Changing keyboard lighting on Linux, especially for specific laptop models, might require additional tools or adjustments since manufacturers often provide software for this purpose that is usually designed for Windows. As of my knowledge, Acer Predator laptops might have limited support for Linux regarding certain features like customizable keyboard lighting.

Here's a general guide that might help, but note that specific functionality can vary based on the laptop model and Linux distribution:

Changing Keyboard Lighting in Ubuntu:

1. Check Kernel and Drivers:

• Ensure your Ubuntu system is using the latest kernel.
    • Check if there are any proprietary drivers available for your Acer Predator Helios 16. Sometimes, additional drivers can provide better support for hardware features.

2. Use acerhdf Driver:

• The acerhdf kernel module might be used to control fan speed and keyboard backlight. You can try loading it to see if it affects the keyboard backlight.
    bashCopy codesudo modprobe acerhdf

If it works, you can make it permanent:

bashCopy codeecho "acerhdf" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules

3. Use External Tools:

• Some third-party tools like "PredatorSense" might not be directly available for Linux. You can explore alternatives like "OpenRGB," although its compatibility can vary.
    bashCopy codesudo add-apt-repository ppa:openrgb/openrgb
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install openrgb

4. BIOS/UEFI Settings:

• Sometimes, keyboard lighting settings can be controlled from the BIOS/UEFI firmware. Reboot your laptop, enter the BIOS/UEFI settings, and check if there are any options related to the keyboard backlight.

5. Scripting:

• Some users create scripts to adjust keyboard backlight settings manually. This might require knowledge of ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) events.

6. Kernel Parameters:

• Experiment with kernel parameters during boot. For instance, some laptops respond to parameters like acpi_osi=Linux or acpi_backlight=vendor.
    bashCopy codesudo nano /etc/default/grub

Update the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line, save, and update GRUB:

bashCopy codesudo update-grub

7. Check Ubuntu Keyboard Settings:

• Go to Ubuntu Settings > Keyboard. Sometimes, there might be a setting related to keyboard backlight.

Important:

Always ensure your system is up-to-date, and any changes you make are reversible. Linux support for specific laptop features can change, so checking the latest information on forums, communities, or Acer's official website is crucial.

Please adapt these steps based on your specific situation, and be cautious when making changes to your system. If you encounter any issues, it's advisable to seek help from the Ubuntu community or Acer forums for the most up-to-date solutions.

• premkjain
    premkjain Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

None of these work for my laptop model please recommend some other tools.

• Zeaks
    Zeaks Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited July 18

For anyone else trying to get RGB lighting and turbo to work on Acer Predator laptops try this, https://github.com/JafarAkhondali/acer-predator-turbo-and-rgb-keyboard-linux-module

it's easy to install but the commands take a minute to figure out. I made a menu for it here so you can pick the options effect mode, speed, color, save profile, load a preset, you can get it here. https://github.com/Zeaksblog/acer-rgb-menu

As for the Turbo, i'm using mint Linux goto settings> update manager goto view and kernel change it to the newest, reboot and the turbo should work at least on or off and fans speed up with it. This works with the Acer Predator Helios neo 16 model PHN16-71. BTW even if your laptop isn't listed on the "tested" list for the RGB module, try it anyways, worse case it wont work.