Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45: Display driver keeps resetting, freezing the laptop if playing a video

Options
BillyBob2271
BillyBob2271 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in Nitro Gaming

This is an issue I've been experiencing recently, had this laptop for a few years but I'm not sure what prompted this issue.

It began with the laptop freezing, holding the last image on screen and becoming completely unresponsive when watching YouTube videos (although later the same thing happened when watching a video on Reddit). I'm forced to hard power-off the laptop but there's never any clear issue in the event viewer.

I later noticed that if I'm not in a video, the laptop will freeze for a couple of seconds before the driver seems to reset, which then continues normally which makes me think that the freezing and the display driver resetting may be the same issue, and the outcome depends if a video is playing or not. the event viewer shows a warning first "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.", followed by the errors:

"The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video4
Resetting TDR occurred on GPUID:100

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table"

The above error appears 3 times in a row followed by another "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" warning.

I performed a clean install of the Nvidia drivers as the nvlddmkm was being referenced but to no avail.

I should also mention I've never experienced this issue (freezing/graphics driver resetting) whilst playing a game or in any other application, other than whilst using chrome, although It does occur on the desktop (the driver resets).

I also keep seeing the error "The activation of the CLSID Windows.Media.Capture.AppCaptureManager timed out waiting for the service BcastDVRUserService_4b195 to stop.", although I'm not sure if its entirely related as it doesn't happen close to the freezing.

If anyone's got any ideas, preferably without having to perform a clean install of windows, I'd be very appreciative.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,848 Trailblazer
    edited November 2023
    Options

Do the following but don't install any video drivers manually: Download DDU from Wagnardsoft.com, make sure internet stays on and boot to Safe Mode in Windows (press shift while clicking Restart on the taskbar) Uninstall both GPU drivers AMD and NVIDIA with DDU and just reboot. Windows11 will install the best drivers. If after this the problem still persists, do a Clean (Safe) Boot with MSconfig.ex, enable Safe boot and Network in the Boot tab and disable all the non-Windows drivers and click on Apply. If Safe Boot does not freeze when playing a game, you have to enable the disabled services one-by-one in MSconfig.exe each time clicking on Apply and rebooting, a very tedious job but the best way to find the driver/service that is causing the freezing (disable or uninstall the rogue driver) At the end don't forget to cancel Safe boot as it will stay active and you will get in a boot loop. To cancel Safe boot, open MSconfig and just click on Normal startup and Apply on the General tab. Another way is to disable non-Windows services in Windows Services but make a copy of the Services screens or export Services to a txt file so you know the original settings.

• BillyBob2271
    BillyBob2271 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options

thanks for the advice, if im going to be uninstalling both AMD and Nvidia drivers, I should reinstall the chipset drivers too, right?

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,848 Trailblazer
    Options

Focus on the display drivers only, don't do too many changes at the same time as you will never fix the problem, this is basically a GPU driver issue and don't install anything yourself, let DDU do the uninstalling in Safe Mode and Windows11 the installing of all your drivers. Make sure you are on version Windows11 23H2 22631.2715 and your BIOS version is 1.11 from 2023/09/18. 😉