Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46-R7D8 Where can I find a service manual for my laptop?

VeronicaJ
VeronicaJ Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in Nitro Gaming

I ordered an Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-46-R7D8) and it’s arriving tomorrow. I wanted to download a users manual that showed parts for replacement parts so I can purchase the right upgrades for the laptop’s ram and SSD. However, the manual on the website doesn’t seem to include that. It’s a basic user manual. I know the HP website (my current laptop) provides that information so I’m confused why Acer doesn’t. Am I not looking in the right place?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,872 Trailblazer

There are no service guides from Acer available for users, their SGs are only available for their technicians and Ace ranked members of this community. The below specs of ram and PCIe4x4 M.2 drives are the upgrades that you can do. There is nothing else that you can upgrade your laptop with to improve its performance.

For your guide I've included all the specs and size of RAM that you need to upgrades your Nitro 5 AN515-46-R7D8 laptop to make this laptop perform better, with its oem specs of its Ryzen 7 6800H CPU/GeForce RTX™ 3070Ti 8GB GDDR6 GPU/ 16GB DDR5-4800MHz RAM.

RAM - you can upgrade this laptop from its oem 16GB to a max total of 32GB at 2x 16GB DDR5-4800MHz type ram modules.

This is the 16GB DDR5-4800MHz ram modules that Acer tested and are 100% compatible for this laptop, Acer part numbers are highlighted. The following lists below for RAM and PCIe 4x4 drives have passed Acers Windows 11 compatibility tests with this laptop.

PCIe4x4 - you can upgrade to better quality drives like the Acer tested M.2 SSD drives listed below or you can fit the top od =f the range and fastest M.2 SSD Gen 4x4 drives like the Samsung 990 Pro NVMe or the WD SN850X Black that are the two fastest Gen 4x4 PCIe drives on the market.

AN515-46 SSD1 and SSD2 Storage specs:

M.2 drives tested by Acer as 100% compatible.

• VeronicaJ

Tinkerer

edited November 2023

This is indeed useful, thank you. However does this laptop have a 2.5 SSD space too? I can't seem to find any video for this certain model on Youtube, but I found one that I thought was it and it had a 2.5 space.

Also, are these OEM products? I have found some same RAM speeds and such online at Best Buy. Will they still work as long as they're the same type?

• VeronicaJ

Tinkerer

Ok so why do you have labeled for my second m.2 to be Gen 3x2 when you provided 4x4 m.2 products? This is clearly incorrect.

• StevenGen
    edited November 2023

NO, your Nitro AN515-46 2nd SSD M.2 slot is a max spec PCI3x2 M.2 slot, but the Gen 4x4 M.2 drives are backward compatible into your PCIe3x2 SSD2 slot and it will work 100% as the Gen4 M.2 drives are backward compatible up to Gen 2 M.2 SSD drives, so I'm NOT incorrect and I'm NOT misleading you, be more grateful for the information and advice that you are getting. As fitting a Gen 4 M.2 SSD into your SSD2 slot will also be advantageous in case you upgrade in the future, as you will have a Gen 4x4 M.2 SSD drive for your future PC.

Here are the specs of your Nitro 5 AN515-46 M.2 SSD1 is a Gen 4x4 and SSD2 is a Gen3x2 slot:

Note: This Nitro laptop does NOT have provisions for a 2.5" SATA HDD only for 2x of the specified M.2 SSD drives above.

These are the Acer SG ram memory spec for the AN515-46 laptop:

Note: that this laptops DDR5-4800Mhz ram if upgraded from its oem 16GB to its max 32GB DDR5-4800Mhz will cause DDR memory training/initialization with the motherboard that requires a period of "training" newly installed memory to work with the system and allow access to the UEFI, or otherwise to complete the system's power-on self-test (POST). 

• VeronicaJ

Tinkerer

This doesn’t make any sense. If I use a higher m.2 it won’t even max, it’ll still be 3x2. Why not provide links for the real 3x2 cards? Because from what I’ve found, my laptop DOES support 4x4 and NOT 3x2 as those are for MUCH older laptops and clearly they’re not even the same size!

• StevenGen
    edited November 2023

You can't buy the Gen3x2 M.2 drives anymore new, that is why and your laptops SSD2 slave drive slot is NOT a Gen4x4 M.2 drive! I'm giving you the specs from the official Nitro 5 AN515-46 Acer SG.

If you don't believe me, then download and install CrystalkDiskMark and do a read/write speed test on the SSD1 boot slot and then put the boot M.2 drive into SSD2 and test both slots out on your AN515-46-R7D8, as you will find that the 2nd SSD is much slower and your SSD1 boot drive Gen 4 M.2 will have a speed of 6500 MB/s while the slave SSD2 will have a speed of 2000MB/s, just try it out.

It makes sense to me, as its exactly the same with my Nitro AN515-56, which has an SSD1 boot drive of a PCIe3x4 and a slave M.2 SSD, of PCIe3x2, so I know, and I have a Gen4x4 in the boot M.2 slot and a PCIe3x4 in the slave drive and it works 100% and perfectly and really fast.

• StevenGen

Btw, the Acer SG that I'm giving you all these specs from is the SG related to the AN515-46 and its dated "2023-02-01 04:25 PM" so its the latest SG as its for your laptop the model AN515-46-R7D8.