SSD Upgrade ACER HELIOS 300 Predator PH315-51

Roughsmoke
Roughsmoke Member Posts: 5 New User

Ladies and Gents

I have a;

SSD Upgrade ACER HELIOS 300 Predator PH315-51

I have a new crucial SSD to replace the factory one, but of course the factory one is what has the "boot" on it. How can Setup it up so that my Laptop will recognize the new SSD when I change it?

I have a 1TB Buffalo HDD that plugs in via USB that I use for storage of photos.
Is there a way to transfer all data from the SSD (factory) to the HDD and have that boot the system when the new SSD is installed and then transfer all data to the new one and set the new SSD to boot?

Please be super kind when offering a solution as although I have a little knowledge, I'm still nervous when doing something like this, so anyone that won"t blow my mind with too many technical terms and an easy step by step would be super appreciated and I'll buy you a coffee if you can help.

Kind regards.

Answers

• Hi,

Do you have a spare HDD(one without anything on it)? is the new SSD 2.5" or M.2 SSD?

• Roughsmoke
    edited November 2023

Hi BrummyFan,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry the HDD has a lot of media on I need to keep.

The new one is also NVME (same as factory) so there is only the one slot for this type on the motherboard.

I see there is a 2.5" slot for that type also, but I don't have one of those.

• OK, you have one empty slot for M.2 SSD and your OS is on the HDD? If that's correct, it's simple, download and install Macrium Reflect Free Home edition, install the new M.2 SSD, run Macrium reflect and use Clone feature to clone the HDD to the new SSD, once the cloning finished remove HDD and boot with only M.2 SSD, check and make sure that cloning was successful, then you can format the HDD.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

• Roughsmoke

Hi,

No, the laptop comes with the operating system on the NVME SSD and there is only slot for NVME SSD on the motherboard.

The HDD (plugging in by USB) is the only other drive I have, but has a lot of media on I can't delete/format

• Roughsmoke

I want to replace the SSD, but of course if I remove and place the new one in, the laptop doesn't have a bootable device installed etc.

• Roughsmoke

It sounds like it might be easier to just buy an extra 2.5" SATA SSD and slot that in, and then do the above.
    Unless anyone else has an idea that can assist?

• Yes, if you have a SATA cable and bracket for 2.5" SSD, that's also a good idea, otherwise you have to buy a spare HDD and install it in the HDD bay, follow the same procedure.

1.Clone original M.2 SSD to the HDD.

2. Remove the original M.2 SSD and install new SSD, boot with the HDD and clone it to the new SSD.

• Pranav_11
    Pranav_11 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited 6:29PM

@Roughsmoke Brother as it seems you have opened this qn in Nov 2023. So assuming you have upgraded ssd in your system.

Could you please tell me which method / software or steps did you use to upgrade your system

I'm asking this because I also want to upgrade my system with same configuration having single ssd slot - ACER HELIOS 300 Predator PH315-51

Your response would be really helpfull !