SFE16-43-R5U9 2023 nosy after software upgrade. CPU usage is about 2-3%, and fans still runs noisy

Options
dziki_pl
dziki_pl Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in Swift and Spin Series

Hi everyone.

I have Swift Edge 16 2023, after BIOS and software update system usage modes works wrong. Before update, I could change profile using fn+f. After update this shortcut showing only silent mode, after that computer is silent for 3-5 seconds. When I change profile in quick access, is silent for 10-20 seconds. CPU usage is about 2-3%, and fans still runs very noisy. Fans now never stops.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

Which Swift Edge 16 model is it? Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like SFE16-xxx-xxxx. Did you download the BIOS update from the Acer support site, or was it pushed out through Windows updates?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • dziki_pl

Tinkerer

Options

Sorry for late reply, I missed your post. My number is SFE16-43-R5U9. Downloaded from Acer site.

• billsey
    Options

Your SFE16-43 model has a few different modes that the fans can be set to. Silent mode, normal mode and performance mode. The fan speed tables are different for each mode. You can change those in one of the utilities that came with your system, either Acer Quick Access or Acer Care Center IIRC. Fan speeds are set from 3400 RPM to 6780 RPM and the fan table determines just when speed is changed. 3400 RPM is the lowest though, and that can't be changed…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • dziki_pl

Tinkerer

Options

Before updates that works well, now when I change to silent this mode works for few seconds. After few seconds mode is changed to performance without my ingerention. Changing from fn+f shortcut works for few sencond, next issue is by fn+f you can change only to silent, no matter how may times you click this shortcut you still have silent. With Acer Quick Access you can change to silent, normal and performance. But when you change to silent it's working for few senconds.

• billsey
    Options

What is the version number for Acer Quick Access? It sounds like a bug to me if it's changing back on it's own, unless you have some other app running that is doing the change. Did you try to install a version of Acer Quick Access for a different machine? That might have mucked it up…

• dziki_pl

Tinkerer

Options

I have Quick Access 4.00.3054. My wife have older model SFA16 and now this same issue. She never updated Quick Access, but fn+f now is not changing mode.

• billsey
    Options

Was the BIOS update pushed through Windows update or a download from the Acer support pages? It sounds like it broke the fan tables…

• dziki_pl

Tinkerer

Options

I asked acer support. They said windows update change setting, they send me drivers to reinstall. It did not help. So they know the problem, but they don't have solution.

• billsey
    Options

I have had luck in the past, when Windows update does a BIOS change, by simply going into the BIOS and using the F9 key to reset to defaults, then F10 to save and exit.

• dziki_pl

Tinkerer

Options

I tried bios reset. Still running noisy. 2-3% usage, no running apps. CPU temperature 43C and noisy fans. Next great piece of hardware destroyed by stupid software.

• billsey
    Options

In silent mode at 43C the fans should be running at 3850 and 4100 RPM and won't drop down to 3400 and 3600 RPM until the temperature drops to 40C. Does that match what you are seeing? Note that the next big bum in fan speed happens at 45C, so not a lot warmer…

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

TTry restoring your bios settings. This procedure may resolve some bugs that remained during the update.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • dziki_pl

Tinkerer

Options

I did'n find any software which can read fan speed in this model. But what I noticed.
    Hysteresis looks different.
    Fans are stopped below 40C, they starting at 44C (level 1), next speed is at 58C (level 2), and very loud at 68 (level 3). There is no audible difference at 45C

When temperature is droping, fans are slowing down to (level 2) at 48C. And stopping below 40.

• Orel_
    Orel_ Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I have the same problem. Claimed 3 times. After the first repair they lied to me about replacing the fan and cooling. The next 2 fixes were without finding the problem, ridiculous clowns. It's a problem they can't solve for now, at least that's how I see it. The problem gets worse when you connect another monitor. Silent mode helps, but it's not a solution. I waited half a year to buy this model and I have a piece of scrap. I take it as a failure that I didn't stay with HP, my 10-year-old laptop is definitely more pleasant to work with.

• dziki_pl

Tinkerer

Options
  • billsey
    Options

Here are the other fan modes:

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Update bios to the latest version:

BIOS

1. Update for support Win11 SV23 2. Update for thermal optimization

Acer

2023/11/01

18.4 MB

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    Options

I believe that BIOS update is what changed the fan tables, to run the system cooler even though it means more noise…

• Orel_
    Orel_ Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited January 10
    Options

Bios update didn't change anything. Acer support doesn't want to solve anything. I tried limit the power of CPU to 60%, it helps partially. But the fan start temperature of 40°C is really low. The fan drivers are locked and will not be loaded by any fan controller. We can only pray :D

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,747 Trailblazer
    Options

Does the same problem occur when updating the bios to version 1.63?

BIOS

Updates EC version to fix keyboard malfunction

Acer

2024/02/26

32.21 MB

Download

egydiocoelho Trailblazer