Had to reinstall Windows 10 & laptop does not recognize any drives other than the hard drive F5-771G

Options
JojoC
JojoC Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in Aspire Laptops

I recently created a bootable USB drive to reinstall Windows 10 after it wouldn't progress beyond the "Please wait" screen after booting. Now that my OS is reinstalled, my laptop (F5-771G) no longer recognizes external drives including the built-in SD card reader or my external MIDI USB interface (Tascam US-144). My SD card does not get read at all by my computer, and the MIDI interface sort of does in that I managed to install its drivers which required it to be plugged in, but the computer does not detect it when I have it plugged in to update the firmware. It also doesn't work right, causing video and audio to come to a grueling crawl. I can record audio with it, but I can't play back that audio.

I've tried many different things including chipset drivers specific to my laptop model and nothing helped. I looked in Device Manager only to find that the only driver my computer recognizes is my hard drive. I know the problem isn't related to the USB ports themselves (and I'm assuming SD port as well) because my wireless mouse and my USB key work fine.

What is there left to do? I need to fix these problems as a music and video creator. Thank you in advance for any advice.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers