Acer 215-54-520G RAM Speed and Upgrade Questions!Ram speed different in command prompt

Options
cansanx
cansanx Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in TravelMate and Extensa

Hello Acer Community,

I hope you're all doing well! I have an Acer 215-54-520G laptop with the P/N:NX.EGJEB.00Q, and I had a couple of questions about RAM that I was hoping you could help me with.

First, I noticed a difference in reported RAM speed. Windows Task Manager shows it as 2133 MHz, but when I use the "wmic memorychip get speed" command in Command Prompt, it shows 3200 MHz. Any idea why there's this difference, and is there a way to make it faster in the BIOS? I'm also looking to add more RAM, so knowing the correct MHz for the soldered 8GB RAM would be helpful in choosing the right upgrade.

Additionally, I was wondering if anyone had access to the specific user manual for my model (Acer 215-54-520G) to clarify if I can add just 8GB more or if it supports 16GB in the empty slot.

Thank you all so much for your assistance and insights!

Best regards,
Can

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,879 Trailblazer
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

CPU-Z is showing 2x64-bit, that is Dual Channel mode (see picture)

I believe the Crucial module did not quite match the soldered Samsung and RAM downclocked to 2133MHz.

Re your question "Also, would opting for a single 16GB module to achieve a total of 24GB RAM offer better performance? considering the current speed issue? Or is it more beneficial to maintain the current setup?" I recommend leaving the current setup as I see some controversial data about the maximum RAM, Kingston claims 16GB but Crucial like Acer indicates 24GB max.
    https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search/model/104629/acer-extensa-15-ex215-54-xxx Probably different CPUs but I would not take the risk unless you can return the 16GB to Crucial. If you are not doing heavy gaming, 16GB memory is more than you will ever need. 😉

Answers

• Puraw
    edited November 2023
    Options

There is the Acer Extensa 15 EX215-54 and also Travelmate P215-54, I assume you have the Extensa model.
    https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Document/User%20Manual%20W11/User%20Manual%20W11_Acer_1.0_A_A.pdf?acerid=637728248265341815&Step1=&Step2=&Step3=EXTENSA%20215-54&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

We may also post parts of service manuals, ask this community what you need to see. The on board (soldered) DDR4 module is 8GB 3200MHz according to the WMIC results that you posted that runs in Single Chanel mode at 2133 MHz (Task Manager), if you match the onboard 8GB DDR4 module in the removable slot you will run in Dual Chanel mode at 2667 MHz, 16GB total RAM. You cannot "overclock" RAM in BIOS to 3200 MHz. To match the soldered RAM module, copy the part number in the WMIC results (wmic memorychip list full) and buy exactly the same 8GB 3200 MHz standard JEDEC module.

You can also buy a 16gb 3200MHz standard JEDEC module for the empty slot to get the maximum supported 24GB total RAM but the speed will be only 2133 MHz (Single Channel mode), if you do that make sure to match the timing (CL) and rank of the soldered DDR4, CPU-Z will list that.

• cansanx
    Options

Dear Puraw,

Thank you so much for your detailed and informative response; it exceeded my expectations! I have one more question, and I would greatly appreciate your expert opinion.

It seems challenging to find the exact same RAM module (Samsung M471A1G44BB0-CWE 8GB) in Europe. However, I can find similar RAM modules with the same clock speed and specifications from other manufacturers like Crucial. My question is, would using a similar RAM module from a different manufacturer still allow me to run in dual-channel mode, or would it be better to go for a 16GB module since the price difference between 8GB and 16GB 3200MHz modules is minimal?

Your insights would be greatly appreciated. And Thank you for your time!

Best regards,
    Can

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

Manufacturer isn't critical for the memory, as long as the specs are the same and you aren't trying to do something like putting XMP memory in instead of JEDEC…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • cansanx
    Options

Hello Acer Community,

After extensive research,

I recently upgraded my Acer 215-54-520G (P/N: NX.EGJEB.00Q) with an additional 8GB RAM module. In CPU-Z, the memory appears as running in dual channel mode, and the same is reflected in WMIC. However, Windows Task Manager still shows the clock speed as 2133 MHz, not the 2666 MHz as I anticipated.

I'm trying to understand if my RAM is indeed functioning in dual channel mode. ?

Also, would opting for a single 16GB module to achieve a total of 24GB RAM offer better performance?considering the current speed issue? Or is it more beneficial to maintain the current setup?

Any advice or insights on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Since im in the period of returning the ram and change it wit 16gb unit.

Thank you all for your contributions and answers.

Best regards,
    Can Orhan

• Puraw
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

CPU-Z is showing 2x64-bit, that is Dual Channel mode (see picture)

I believe the Crucial module did not quite match the soldered Samsung and RAM downclocked to 2133MHz.

Re your question "Also, would opting for a single 16GB module to achieve a total of 24GB RAM offer better performance? considering the current speed issue? Or is it more beneficial to maintain the current setup?" I recommend leaving the current setup as I see some controversial data about the maximum RAM, Kingston claims 16GB but Crucial like Acer indicates 24GB max.
    https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search/model/104629/acer-extensa-15-ex215-54-xxx Probably different CPUs but I would not take the risk unless you can return the 16GB to Crucial. If you are not doing heavy gaming, 16GB memory is more than you will ever need. 😉

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

What memory did you actually get? The 2133 speed suggests it is XMP memory, hence the downclocking to it's base speed.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.