Installing win 8.1 32 to sw5-012 Aspire Switch10- boots up with USB drive but cant find hard drivers

Options
Serim
Serim Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in Switch Series

Hello All,

I have been trying to install win 8.1 32 bit to sw5-012. Its original OS is w10.

Its working slow in W10, I believe Win 8.1 will be faster.

I did create usb installer. It boots up with USB drive but cant find its hard drives.

I did try all device drivers etc but I cant proceed.

Please help.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Alejandro_AC
    Options

Hi @Serim your computer works correctly with Windows 10 and Windows 8, it will not do faster with Windows 8, what you have to find out is what causes the slowness.

If you access in safe mode, does it go faster?

Thank you.
    All the best.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)

• Serim

Tinkerer

Options

I dont think so. Win 8.1 uses less system sources and operates faster than Win 10. I am sure about that.

• Serim

Tinkerer

Options

Thank you for your reply.

I could not find device storage controller driver for win 8.1 32 bit. There is no driver in web site.

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,808 Pathfinder
    Options

@Serim you can try going back into Windows 10 and check the storage controller driver to download an appropriate one.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Serim

Tinkerer

Options

I did try to use double drive app and back up all w10 drivers and install them in win 8.1 32 bit but it did not work. Win 8.1 did not recognise any storage driver I backed up via double driver.

• Alejandro_AC
    Options

I assure you that this is not the case, I have been in the Windows Beta program for more than 15 years and I have known the systems since Windows XP. The systems are not faster because they consume fewer resources but because they are designed to work properly with the processor and memories. fundamentally and Windows 10 manages these components better.

Thank you.
    All the best.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

X (Twitter)

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@Serim You might have to get the driver manually so that the installation can select the driver.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • Serim

Tinkerer

Options

I cant get the driver from anywhere. I tried this to do manually.

• Serim

Tinkerer

Options

Dear Aeljandro,

I do respect your experience but I do want to use this device with Win 8.1. Can you help me to find suitable storage driver for this hardware

• Alejandro_AC
    Options

It is possible that adding the chipset driver to the USB drive to load it in the installation process recognizes the disk but I am not able to find it since it is no longer available on the computer's download page.

Thank you.
    All the best.

X (Twitter)

• Serim

Tinkerer

Options

Please let me know if you have any idea to get this driver.

• Alejandro_AC
    Options

I will do so.
    All the best.

X (Twitter)

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@Serim

In the Device manager, check in the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers tab.

• Serim

Tinkerer

Options

In win 10, its spaceport.sys and inf but these files are not recognised as driver in win 8.1

Any idea ?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,788 Trailblazer
    Options

Typically you can't install a W10 driver in W8/8.1 though you can go the other direction. Almost all the W8.1 drivers you will need are in the Master Installer zip file from Acer's support site. I don't believe the SW5-012 design used Intel's RST technology, so you don't need special drivers installed in order to see the drives. Can you take a picture of the installer screen when it's looking for a drive to install to, and of the BIOS screen showing that drive?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.