ASPIRE 5 A515-56-5393 - Trackpad failed - Then BSOD

Options
JezInTheHouse
JezInTheHouse Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in Aspire Laptops

Hi there,

So last week my ASPIRE 5 A515-56-5393 was working fine then randomly the trackpad stopped working, plugged in a mouse that that worked.

So tried the normal stuff remove the driver restated and no luck, I went into the BIOS and couldn't see it then on the restart the blue screen windows couldn't start.

None of the recovery options would work error on the windows repair, it said it couldn't find any recovery points all very odd as I make restore points before doing any windows update. it seemed like like the drive is corrupt.

I removed the SSD and was able to access it from a USB connector (it was bitlocked) but got the key and pulled my files off fine. so the SSD is at least accessible

I checked the ribbon cable on the track pad (disconnected and reconnected) it all looked fine but still that didn't fix the problem

I ran a memtest86 and memory is all fine so no idea what has happened here.

From a USB boot plugging in a mouse works and you see a cursor but if you unplug it the trackpad dose nothing.

I have no idea why both the trackpad and then Windows would [Content removed] out but its very annoying as it seems like this laptop is bricked..

I haven't tried a complete windows reinstall but this probably won't fix the trackpad as I can't even see it in the BIOS

I could buy a new trackpad and replace it but it seems like a waste if there is deeper issues in the laptop..

Any idea's would be appreciated.

[Edited the thread to hide sensitive content]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 10,396 Trailblazer
    Options

Not sure the BSOD is related to the touchpad, also rule out that a 2-year-old touchpad is already broken. What do you see for 12C HID device and in Human interface devices, any Elan or Synaptics touchpad drivers? Uninstall 12C and Touchpad drivers and just reboot, Windows will install MS Precision drivers. If still no go and you still cannot see the touchpad (Standard or Advanced) setting in BIOS after you press Ctrl+S I recommend bringing the laptop to Acer Services in your country to check it.

• JezInTheHouse

Tinkerer

Options

Hi, using Ctrl-S I was able to see Touchpad [12C] It tried changing it to SP2 and back but still not recognised as I said I cant even boot into windows anymore I just get the Blue screen and options to restore etc but none of them work… it just get errors "no restore point found" etc even when I boot of a windows USB there is no option to try and fix its like it cant see the drive but as I said I'm able to access it by taking it out and connecting it in a USB enclosure.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

What is the bios version?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 10,396 Trailblazer
    Options

That blue screen with the "Troubleshoot" options is Windows Recovery OS located on a hidden partition on your boot drive, so at least that is working OK. The fact it cannot find your saved Restore Ponts (VSS or volume Shadow Copy Service file) is because the Windows bootloader is either missing or corrupted on the boot drive (c:). You transferred your personal files on another PC so why don't you try to Reset this PC losing all your files option. If that also does not work you may have a bad SSD, I recommend bringing the laptop to Acer Services in your country to reset the system to factory defaults, a small service fee will be charged ($25 in the Philippines).

• JezInTheHouse

Tinkerer

Options

the BIOS version is V1.31 but I don't know why it would stop working after all this time

• JezInTheHouse

Tinkerer

Options

Puraw, none of the options seem to work also it also wont fix the trackpad issue

• William_mk2
    Options

@JezInTheHouse

Try fn + f6 or f6 alone  or  fn + f7 or f7 alone on keyboard to disable and enable the touchpad. 

Please look at the key f6 and f7 key on keyboard .    You can see the hand symbol with fingers .   That denotes the touchpad function key.   On some models it will be on f6 and some models it will be on f7.    So we need to use the right key depending upon the laptop model .   If fn + f7 is not working then we have to use f7 alone to make it to work.     

On some old laptop models there will be a separate button right  next to touch pad area which is below the space bar.  It is used to turn on and off the touch pad.  On some old models it will be right next to power button.   On all new models, f7 key is used to enable and disable the touch pad. 

If you would like to disable and enable the touchpad, please press and hold  fn key on the keyboard and then press f6 or f7 once.    If the touchpad is not getting disabled you can either press f6 alone or f7 alone without holding the fn key.      It is used to enable or disable the touchpad..    

After disabling and enabling the touchpad check how it is working.. 

If it is still not working 
    Go to support.acer.com 
    chose your country 
    type snid or chose your model 
    go to drivers - Install the i/o drivers first and then install the touch pad driver 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2
    Options

@JezInTheHouse

If it is still not working then we have to do a refresh and reset

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 

or 

on start - type here to search - type reset this pc - click on reset this pc on the top  - click on get started 

or

Try windows + r using keyboard
    on run window - type systemreset

It will show you keep my files and remove everything
    chose keep my files 
    chose the account - type the password - click on local reinstall - click on reset 
    It will be in progress.. 
    login to computer and start using the computer. 

click on start - settings - update and security - recovery - reset this pc - get started 
    chose remove everything 
    click on local reinstall - just remove my files - click on reset
    It will be in progress

Note:

If you do refresh ( keep my files ) -  all your personal files like pictures, music , documents , videos  will still be intact.   Only the applications will be lost

If you do reset  ( remove everything )  - you are doing a factory default.   It will become like a day one computer.    It will wipe out everything and take your computer to day one like a new computer. 

You can also do the recovery in an alternative way..

There are two alt keys on the keyboard.  If you look at the bottom row of keyboard you can see the one on the left side of space bar and the other on the right side of space bar.  The alt key on the right side will be looking like alt, alt gr or alt car.  Turn off the computer.  Hold the alt key on the left and tap f10 continuously.   It will go to repair mode. It will show you chose an option, continue, troubleshoot.   If it is not going to repair mode, turn off the computer.  Turn on the computer.  Hold the right alt key ( alt gr or alt car or alt )  and then tap f10 continuously.  It will go to chose an option continue and troubleshoot..

It will show you chose an option, continue, troubleshoot
    Go to troubleshoot  -  click on reset this pc
    click on keep my files  ( only applications will be lost )   chose your account and type your password   - click on local reinstall  - click on reset
    It will be in progress 

If the keep my files option is not working 

Go to troubleshoot  -  click on reset this pc – click on remove everything – click on local reinstall – just remove my files – click on reset 
    It will reinstall windows. 

If the just remove my files is not working..

Go to troubleshoot  -  click on reset this pc – click on remove everything – click on local reinstall – Fully clean the drive – click on reset 
    It will reinstall windows. 

Note: You can also go to chose an option , continue , troubleshoot by holding the alt key + tapping f10  or alt gr + tapping f10 on the keyboard while turning on the computer.    Once you see the troubleshoot option, you can stop tapping the f10 and stop holding the alt key.    Then you can try the keep my files and remove everything ( just remove by files and fully clean the drive ) by following the steps which was mentioned above. 

Please first install the operating system using keep my files , remove everything and check how the touchpad is working.

After disabling and enabling the touchpad using fn + f6, f6 or fn + f7 , f7 check how it is working.. 

Go to support.acer.com 
    chose your country 
    type snid or chose your model 
    go to drivers - Install the i/o drivers first and then install the touch pad driver 

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• JezInTheHouse

Tinkerer

edited November 2023
    Options

William_mk2,

Thanks for the response but obviously the first thing I tried was to try to enable/disable the toutchpad from the keyboard shortcut… (I took the laptop apart and copied files of the SSD I'm not that much of a tool )

As for the rest of your response its kind of you to help but as I said

Windows wont boot!

The recovery options don't work!

it seems like you have just copy/pasted a how to without reading the thread

All this wont help if the touchpad doesn't work but a mouse does.. clearly there is something a bit deeper here

• William_mk2
    Options

@JezinTheHouse

I am sorry to hear that your windows wont boot. I really want to do my best for you.

Regarding the boot issue, have you to tried to use alt + f10, alt gr + f10 while turning on the computer.

Have you tried to go to troubleshoot option to do keep my files and remove everything.

Regarding the touchpad issue, first of all we need to determine whether it is a hardware or software issue. After reinstalling windows if you still face the same touch pad issue then you need to enable or disable touchpad by using fn + f7, fn + f6, f6 alone or f7 alone on keyboard. If it is still not working then you have to install the touch pad drivers after intsalling the i/o drivers.

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Have you tried taking apart the computer, disconnecting the lithium battery and touchpad connector?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JezInTheHouse

Tinkerer

Options

@ William_mk2 Please read before responding…

None of the restore options work! so I can't do that the only thing that works from that screen is turn off the device

• JezInTheHouse

Tinkerer

Options

Yes as I stated in the original post "I checked the ribbon cable on the track pad (disconnected and reconnected) it all looked fine but still that didn't fix the problem"

I had to remove the battery to do this

Kind regards

Jez

• JezInTheHouse

Tinkerer

Options

Well I contacted the Acer service centre explaining the issue and they sent a reply with a DHL link to send it to them… as I have my data off it its being picked up tomorrow so we will see what they find

Thanks for your contributions I will post when I find out what happens next

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Did they tell you what the problem was?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Can you check this setting when the computer returns?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer