DBX firmware update and corrupted bios on Aspire A515-43

Options
maher2000
maher2000 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in Aspire Laptops

Hi, everyone,

Last week, I updated the DBX firmware to 371 from Ubuntu on Aspire A515-43. So, when I updated the dbx, my laptop froze (Ubuntu OS), which led me to perform a forced shutdown via the power button. So, now my Windows boot takes a long time, and I tried to perform a clean installation to Win11 and then Win10, but the issue was not resolved. Thus, the dbx update caused damage or corrugated my bios firmware (that was what I thought because my laptop was unable to boot, which led me to do a second force shutdown), affecting the boot time of Windows OS. So, can I reinstall bios (safe method) without losing my laptop? Or reinstall the same bios update (BIOS 1.12V) by Insyde h2offt? Or is there a way to view why the Windows system is delaying the boot process?

I thought this update would be for Ubuntu, not bios firmware update, which led me to trust it 😐️.

Thanks,

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,065 Trailblazer
    edited November 2023
    Options

Updating the dbx firmware should do nothing to the bios of your laptop, the dbx firmware update in Ubuntu updates the dbx to the latest release from Microsoft which adds insecure versions of grub and shim to the list of forbidden signatures due to multiple discovered security updates. it has nothing to do with the Aspire A515-43s bios.

Note: you could have damaged the M.2 SSD drive and that is why your laptop was slowed down, also you could have other issues with this laptop, so check the laptop ram also. Also, you can only update the bios in Win-11 and Ubuntu has no link to the bios of your laptop. Don't reflash the bios as you will corrupt the bios program and brick your laptop and then you will have to get a technician to reprogram the bios again or you will need to buy a new reprogramed bios chip.

Delete everything off the M.2 SSD boot drive, then format the boot drive and then do a clean install of Win-11 on a new or another M.2 SSD drive like a PCIe3x4 and see if the speed of your laptop with a new and a clean installed Win-11 has fixed your problem.

• maher2000

Tinkerer

Options

I appreciate your interest in my question, but if we suggest my M.2 SSD being damaged (while the Kingston SSD software on Windows shows 100% SSD health). Why the Ubuntu and other OS work as expected rather than Windows? Also, When I did a clean install, the windows for the first and second times worked perfectly, but after some time (for unknown reasons), the windows appeared to have the same problem while all other functions worked at the expected speed. How can I check my SSD performance?

• maher2000

Tinkerer

Options

This is my ssd test speed KINGSTON SNV2S1000G

• maher2000

Tinkerer

Options

sorry for my English : )

• maher2000

Tinkerer

Options

Ok, now i found the Realtek drive is make this issue, but i don't know how i will continue my works without sound drive lol 😂