Why is my peak brightness on my Acer Triton 17x only 380 nits while it's supposed to have 1000 nits?

Options
Yadooo
Yadooo Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi,

I need help understanding why the peak brightness on my laptop is only 380 nits? I was trying to calibrate my HDR using the Windows calibration app and saw that it only goes up to 380 nits. After checking the display settings, I confirmed that it is only 380 nits and there is also no HDR certification too. I have attached a photo of it below.

Your kind help would be apperciated

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,697 Trailblazer
    edited November 2023
    Options

Is this for the internal or an external display? Your image is brightness for display #2? What is display #2?

Jack E/NJ

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 9,778 Trailblazer
    edited November 2023
    Options

Nits depend on your panel type, run HWINFO and check the monitor tab primary display, note screen brand, model and part number. Open Panelook.com and type in Search the part number, check if this is your screen and check the nits (cd/m2). Panels for the same laptop model can differ, an IPS panel with 1000 nits in the US may have a TN panel with only 380 nits in a different country or even from a different retailer if the laptop has been assembled and imported from a different country. Don't believe only sales pitch like "Up to….".

• Yadooo
    Options

Hi Jack,

There are 2 displays on my laptop due to advanced optimus. It auto switches between integrated grahpics and the 4090 to save battery.

• Yadooo
    Options

Hi Puraw,

I have attached below the monitor part number from HWINFO and the results I found online. Looks consistent with what was advertised. Also, Today the monitor's peak brightness is 440 for some reason. I tried updating the integrated graphics driver and it did change to over 1000 nits brightness then went back to 380 nits after a restart. It is very strange.

• Yadooo
    Options

Just incase, I have disabled advanced Optimus in the bios and now this is the current status displayed on windows.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,697 Trailblazer
    edited November 2023
    Options

There are 2 displays on my laptop due to advanced optimus. It auto
    switches between integrated grahpics and the 4090 to save battery.

Today the monitor's peak brightness is 440 for some reason. I tried
    updating the integrated graphics driver and it did change to over 1000
    nits brightness then went back to 380 nits after a restart. It is very
    strange.

OK. Maybe not so strange.

A nomenclature issue. Yes, there are two GPU display adapters. But still only one display or screen that each adapter is driving. In this case, it happens to be the internal lid screen we're talking about. Meaning no 2nd external screen or display is attached.

So let's focus on the lid display or screen model #B170QAN01.4. Go to this link for a discussion on its brightness. It can strongly depend on what image you're looking at. Seems like the smaller the area illuminated in the image, the higher the nits can be. Meaning a mostly black screen image, with smaller areas of rgbw will give the highest nits. I expect that brightness of videos or changing images will vary all over the map. An excerpt from the link—-

"The maximum measured brightness depends on the content. With a 5% white
    and 95% black display, we measured 1100 nits (cd/m2). With a full white
    screen, the maximum brightness is 710 nits (cd/m2), while 11% white
    equals 814 nits (cd/m2) in the middle of the screen, and 806 nits
    (cd/m2) average across the surface with a maximum deviation of only 2%.
    The Correlated Color Temperature on a white screen and at maximum
    brightness is 6500K.
    In the illustration below you can see how the display performs from a
    uniformity perspective. The illustration below shows how matters are for
    operational brightness levels (approximately 140 nits).
    Values of dE2000 over 4.0 should not occur, and this parameter is one of
    the first you should check if you intend to use the laptop for
    color-sensitive work (a maximum tolerance of 2.0). We measured an ANSI
    contrast ratio of 36000:1 (Infinite contrast ratios can be achieved by
    devices capable of emitting no light at all as their darkest color)."

Jack E/NJ