Aspire TC-1760 Problem after upgrading to ssd

MooseBrewer54
MooseBrewer54 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

I recently swapped out my HDD for an SSD.

Everything seemed fine, but now a week later my computer isn't booting consistently. I have to back into the BIOS and resellect the SSD.

And now sometimes Windows 11 won't run properly. I try updating but it says its up to date.

I would put everything back as it was, but I already cleaned the old hdd.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,448 Trailblazer
    edited November 2023

What is your laptop or desktop exact model number, as its very hard to give you any advice if you don't tell us the full story😁 with a HDD, that are usually a mechanical drive, as its unusual to have Win-11 OS installed on a 2.5" SATA III mechanical HDD, did you do a clean install or a clone to an M.2 SSD drive or a 2.5" SSD drive? Your laptop or desktop should have an M.2 SSD drive slot which the M.2 SSD slot is 4 to 5 times faster and that is where your Win-11 should be installed on an M.2 SSD and NOT a 2.5" SATA III mechanical and SSDs drives as they are way too slow to handle the modern OS requirements of the Win-11 speeds that are required. Give us more details of what you did so that we can pinpoint where your problem are.

• MooseBrewer54

I have a Aspire TC-1760

I replaced the mechanical HDD, with a 2.5 SSD.

I cloned the existing drive. Once everything was working I wiped the old drive and reinstalled it for extra storage.

I have it back working now, but the c/ user directory keeps reverting to "Read Only". I tried all the fixes I could find, had Microsoft support on my computer and he tried to reinstall windows, but on the second restart it wouldn't boot, so the install failed.

• themero
    themero Member Posts: 49 Devotee WiFi Icon

download windows 11 from Microsoft and do a fresh install to the ssd . cloning drives can cause too many problems .

And don't listen to steven , a normal ssd is still miles better than the piece of junk hard drive it came with . I know because my 1760 was exactly the same .

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    edited November 2023

Go to this link and create a USB drive. Takes a 1/2 hour or more. You can create the bootable USB on another computer

Leave the USB plugged in and

Be sure that BOOT ENABLE is enabled in bios.

Then do an F12 Boot to bios to select the bootable USB, then reboot.

But 1st disconnect your spare drive. Clone the SSD to the spare if you wish to backup.

A SSD is a WINNER, WIN11 has no such requirement to my knowledge.

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

• MooseBrewer54

Thanks for all the information.

Its working right now, however might not boot properly next time, just leaving it on for the time being. Probably won't get to actually work on it again till next week end.

I

Luckily I have my laptop to use if the desktop gets miserable again.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,818 Trailblazer

Also check the Sata cable connectors, maybe not making good contact.

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

I'd reseat all cables, REMOVE the 2ynd HD until it's fixed.

REPLACE the bios battery.

Reset the BIOS to default, Usually F9 Key.

Do you get any BEEPS when it flops ?

Tell us what the screen says when it fails to boot.

It could be needing a RAM reseating

Beeps are important and also any text message.

You might run a diagnostic on the SSD.

Post a picture of your disk management partions.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Also, is it a brand name SSD purchased from a reliable vendor? Some of the no-name ones can be problematic…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.