Is here a way that I can lock the function key so I don't have to hold it down everytime

Options
Joybell
Joybell Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2023 in Windows 10

I have just changed my keyboard on my desktop computer (not Acer) to a cordless Acer DKRF41B045XXXX everytime I use the Print Screen key to open the Snipping Tool tools or Use the Print Screen key with the Window key to do a screenshot I have to also hold down the function key. Is there a way to lock that so I don't have to hold it down each time? I have seen ways of doing this for other keyboards for other brands, but I can't find anything for my situation.

[Edited the thread to hide sensitive information]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,553 Trailblazer
    Options

Pin the Windows Sniping tool to your taskbar and click on the Sniping icon to take a screen shot.

• Joybell
    Options

Thank you for the reply.

Firstly I need to explain. I use the Print Screen for 2 different functions: To show the Snipping Tool tools & also to take a screenshot which automatically saves in a folder for me to deal with later. I take the screenshot by pressing the window key & Print Screen together, but now I am going to have to press FN as well. So putting a shortcut on the Taskbar will not help me as far as easier usage of the Print Screen. That is, not having to hold down an extra key (Fn). Besides for a long time, rather than cluttering up my Taskbar to have a shortcut for the Snipping Tool, I have been using Windows + Shift + S. This was a bit awkward initially, but I got used to it eventually. I guess if there is no solution to being able to press Print Screen without the Function key I am going to have to get used to it or purchase another keyboard that suits me.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,553 Trailblazer
    edited October 2023
    Options

IDK what version of Windows you have but Windows11 Snipping tool can do all that you described and much more, give it a try: https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/windows-11/whats-new-with-snipping-tool-on-windows-11-september-2023-update and to take screen shots from Pop Up menus and screens read this: https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/use-the-windows-snipping-tool-to-capture-popup-menus/

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, typically changing the keyboard behavior requires a BIOS change to swap the Fn function, but since the keyboard isn't built into your BIOS that's not an option.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Joybell
    Options

I thought that might be the case. Thank you for the confirmation.

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,808 Pathfinder
    Options

@Joybell

The Print screen key is combined with the insert key so it will require you to press the Fn key to use the below function.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!