Problems with Microsoft Edge all my photos seem to have disappeared in their original format.

Options
Elinort86
Elinort86 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2023 in Windows 10

Hello

I'm new on this support group and have carefully read all the info on the Terms and Agreements so I hope the question I am posing will be allowed.

Suddenly, after having Google Chrome as my browser, Microsoft has changed everything to Microsoft Edge. I sell the odd thing on Etsy and Ebay so rely very much on being able to edit my photos. The Edge format is far inferior to my Chrome one, and although I have followed instructions carefully to attempt to get back to my favoured browser, I am constantly returned to Edge . which I don't want as my browser.

I am 86 and , although obviously not a computer whiz, I just want to return to a browser I'm happily familiar with.

Also, very alarmingly, all my photos seem to have disappeared in their original format.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,950 Trailblazer
    edited October 2023
    Options

Yes MS Edge is a very annoying and restrictive browser, its been cleansed and wrecked with these new updates, especially now with their Edge Chromium browser that has an additional and very annoying highlighted square box (that you cant get rid off) whenever you search the browser or highlight anything when using Edge, this happens on the Acer community page also, as you get a black lined box, and I've given up on MS Edge and uninstalled it, be aware as its very hard to get all your bookmarks from MS Edge so you might have to get a copy of your Edge bookmarks and separately install them to your new browser, but if you used Google Chrome then your bookmarks should be on there, so go back to Google Chrome and uninstall MS Edge completely, you will be much better off! Its also illegal for Microsoft to monopolize and/or restrict their Windows OS to operate only with their Edge browser.

What I would suggest is for you to completely uninstall MS Edge like this guide says How to remove Microsoft Edge from Windows 10 btw its the same for Win-11, this uninstall guide also has How to uninstall Microsoft Edge (Chromium) using Command Prompt. See these guides and good luck as I've uninstalled this MS annoying browser as its useless. I use DuckDuckGo at DuckDuckGo or Tor Project | Download Tor Browser which is a very private browser as its as good as having a VPN. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

No need to remove Edge though, just go into Settings for Windows and change the defaults. I get there by hitting the Windows key and typing 'default' and choosing Default Apps from what the search finds. Select Chrome there and make it your default browser. That reverses the defaults that Microsoft changed,

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • eGomes
    eGomes Member Posts: 2,899 Guru
    Options

MS Edge with every new version gets worse! I constantly see CPU FAN of the my laptop at full speed because of this browser:

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,283 Trailblazer
    edited November 2023
    Options

Windows11 23H2 Edge Version 118.0.2088.76, is rated as the most advanced browser with the best security on the market, you should not use any 3rd-party browsers or anti-virus software in Windows11 23H2, only Edge and Defender with all the security options enabled and set as default, these programs are integrated and part of the latest Windows OS. Conversions from existing Chrome, Opera or Firefox databases/bookmarks/favorites may not be fluent, you cannot blame Microsoft for that. I recommend you ditch your 3rd-party browsers and AV apps, learn and get used to the new Edge, turnoff the new widgets and features that you don't like, Edge will have Copilot AI pretty soon, I tried Copilot Preview, and it is awesome technology. 😉

• eGomes
    eGomes Member Posts: 2,899 Guru
    edited November 2023
    Options

Yeap, I'm also already using 23H2 (22631.2506 build) with only the basics installed (Edge + Windows Defender only). Sometimes I notice that Edge is consuming a lot of CPU resources and keeping portions of Standby RAM in use, even after configuring it to not remain running when closed.

Today a new Edge update 119.0.2151.44 arrived, let's see how it behaves! 😉

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,283 Trailblazer
    edited November 2023
    Options

You can prioritize Edge Browser in Task Manager, so it won't do that (but you still have to repeat it for each Windows session):

and turn these options off:

Edge uses far less resources than Chrome or Firefox that constantly try to update and cause havoc in Windows.