Acer Aspire 3 a315-42g-r1fe Wifi card upgrade suggestion

Options
Breadman15
Breadman15 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2023 in Aspire Laptops

I currently have the Acer Aspire 3 a315-42g-r1fe which I think I bought in 2019. It has the Qualcomm QCA9377 Wifi card and it cannot fully utilize our 800Mbps wifi even when they are just inches apart.

Speedtest reports the speed to be about 240-260Mbps only. I am looking if someone knows of a better upgrade that is compatible for this laptop

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,063 Trailblazer
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

The Aspire A315-42G-R1FE laptops Wi-Fi card speed has nothing to do with "how close the laptop is to your modem". The Qualcomm-QCA9377 card fitted to your laptop has a speed between 260 Mbps to a max of 350 Mbps and the other card fitted and listed in this laptops SG (see caption below) the INT3168.NGWG card is a faster card that has a max speed of 433 Mbps. The only way that you will get 800 Mbps or greater speeds that you are paying for your internet for, is with an AX-XXXX 6 or 6E WLAN type card that your laptop is NOT compatible or fitted with as no upgraded WLAN card make your laptop perform at those speeds. Either change your laptop and buy a laptop that has a 6 or 6E type Wi-Fi card or upgrade to the quicker 433 Mbps card below and only use 50% of your internet speed, that is the choice that you have.

WLAN/BT cards fitted oem to the Aspire A315-42G laptops

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,063 Trailblazer
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

The Aspire A315-42G-R1FE laptops Wi-Fi card speed has nothing to do with "how close the laptop is to your modem". The Qualcomm-QCA9377 card fitted to your laptop has a speed between 260 Mbps to a max of 350 Mbps and the other card fitted and listed in this laptops SG (see caption below) the INT3168.NGWG card is a faster card that has a max speed of 433 Mbps. The only way that you will get 800 Mbps or greater speeds that you are paying for your internet for, is with an AX-XXXX 6 or 6E WLAN type card that your laptop is NOT compatible or fitted with as no upgraded WLAN card make your laptop perform at those speeds. Either change your laptop and buy a laptop that has a 6 or 6E type Wi-Fi card or upgrade to the quicker 433 Mbps card below and only use 50% of your internet speed, that is the choice that you have.

WLAN/BT cards fitted oem to the Aspire A315-42G laptops

• Breadman15
    Breadman15 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

That's unfortunate. I will, for the mean time, just use a gigabit lan cable when I am at home. The laptop is slowly reaching its lifetime anyway so I'll just look for a better laptop later. Thank you for the response.