I noticed I have updates that go back to 2021 I should download those updates or if are they too old

Options
KennethWC
KennethWC Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in Acer Software

I noticed I have updates that go back to 2021 and wondering if I should download those updates or if are they too old.

Kenneth

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options

Acer driver and firmware updates are primarily meant to fix problems or address issues that sometimes arise due, for example, to unannounced changes in hardware or software during production. What problems are you having that you think the updates will fix? The age of the updates mean little or nothing if you're having a problem that they can possibly fix?

Jack E/NJ

• KennethWC
    KennethWC Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options

Hi JackE:

Thanks for your reply.

I do get regular update notices from Microsoft and notices from Intel which I update. I did assume that I would need these updates from Acer to enable my computer to work with the changes and issues to which you mentioned

There is one issue that I have noticed lately the ESC at times will not revert back to the smaller screen when I am viewing in full screen and the only way to get it to function is to use the pause first and then it functions.

Kenneth

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options

No, unless an Acer driver or firmware update description specifically addresses a keyboard issue, then none are recommended in your case. Optional Windows updates should also be avoided since they are usually generic driver updates not meant for devices integrated into proprietary Acer mainboard. You can go to this link to check the operation of your keyboard keys to make sure they working properly.

Jack E/NJ

• Alejandro_AC
    Options

Hi @KennethWC I just want to add, to what my colleague already mentioned, that I only install the updates offered by Windows Update.
    In the case of Intel drivers, you can use, if you do not do so and for more security, the updates offered from the following Intel utility:

Thank you.
    All the best.

Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as a solution if it was resolved, thanks!

I use Google Translate for English, German, Portuguese and French.

Pro bono collaborator, I don't work or speak in the name of Acer

Por favor, haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si fué resuelta, gracias!

Colaborador Pro bono, no trabajo o hablo en nombre de Acer

MSFT MVP (2003-21) & Windows Insider

X (Twitter)