Concept D7 CN715 won't turn on I'm guessing some major hardware issue is to blame

Options
beebop1983
beebop1983 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello all,

Never had an issue with my D7, but suddenly I went to turn it on and the backlight on the keyboard turns on, the fan spins, and the laptop heats up a little as normal, but nothing appears on the screen. I tried to use a monitor to test if the laptop screen is just broke, but my monitor picks up no signal from it It appears the machine simply turns on but doesn't do anything.

I'm guessing some major hardware issue is to blame, but I'm I'm self employed and all my work is on this computer, so willing to try anything...

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• SKnotts
    SKnotts Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I had a similar issue a few weeks ago - suspected it was after a Windows Update as I usually leave my PC on. I held in the power adapter tightly, and it powered back on - been afraid to turn it off since! It does restart though - and I find I need to restart constantly as the USB ports keep disconnecting. Something definitely wrong and I am hoping ACER responds to correct.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,437 Trailblazer
    Options

Try to reset CMOS (located under the battery, see picture) and do a Power drain:
    Open the back of the laptop, disconnect the battery cable from the motherboard and remove the battery. Locate the CMOS module (with 2 twisted wires Red and Black) and remove the coin battery. Shorten the +/- contacts inside the CMOS capsule for 2 seconds with a bended paperclip and put the coin battery back with the + sign facing up, close the CMOS capsule. Next, press the Power Button on the keyboard for 10-15 seconds, after that reconnect the battery cable to the motherboard. Close the laptop, plug-in the adapter and try to boot. Ideally you should check if the 2 DDR4 modules are properly seated in the slots but as these slots are located at the back of the motherboard it would involve a complete disassembly and should be done by a technician (Acer Services in your country).