Is HDCP Upgradable on X34 Predator (UM.CX0AA.P01)?

Options
Johns_A1B2C38898
Johns_A1B2C38898 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hello,

Like computer firmware, is the HDCP version Updatable/Upgradable on these monitors?

I require Ver 2.2 so I can watch TV Streaming on a PC in full HD.

Thanks

John

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,486 Trailblazer
    Options

I require Ver 2.2 so I can watch TV Streaming on a PC in full HD.

Sorry, the hardware chipset used in this older model seems to only support Full HD (FHD) 1080p streaming, not Ultra HD (UHD) 4K.

Jack E/NJ

• Johns_A1B2C38898

Tinkerer

Options

The thing is that I am unable to get 1080P let alone 1440p. The best video resolution I'm allowed from the video players in Win10 (incl.Edge) and Linux is 720p (monitor is configured and working as 3440x1440). I've hunted down what appears to be the culprit which is the HDCP version in the monitor not being at least 2.2. I can no longer find the spec reference I saw about this right now (ref X34 HDCP ver) but I had assumed that I had the latest installed in this monitor given the absolute fortune I paid for it. There is a aftermarket converter box I can purchase to resolve this but if it can be resolved through a firmware update, I would prefer this to fix the issue instead of compensating around it.

Thanks,

John

• JackE
    edited October 2023
    Options

All currently available Acer x34P driver & firmware updates would be found at this link. While more might become available in the future, we Acer users have no way of knowing when or even if this would happen. So like the rest of us, you just have to keep checking its Acer downloads. Sorry. Base X34 specs.

Jack E/NJ

• Johns_A1B2C38898

Tinkerer

Options

Lovely.

Thanks

• Johns_A1B2C38898

Tinkerer

Options

What timing. I just now, rapped up with Acer Tech support. The HDCP version for my monitor is 1.0 (this is ancient, was issued in year 2000).

They have an updated firmware but it's not user installable. As I'm still on warranty, they will get this done. I await the RMA

• JackE
    Options

As I'm still on warranty, they will get this done. I await the RMA

Sounds reasonable. But who's responsible for shipping costs?

Jack E/NJ

• Johns_A1B2C38898

Tinkerer

Options

Me, plus recommended shipping insurance in case it get's hurt along the way as they won't cover that. Paid $1,459.26 for this monitor in 2020. My expectations are pretty hi right now.

• JackE
    Options

They have an updated firmware but it's not user installable > Paid $1,459.26 for this monitor in 2020.

Yeah, that's probably because whoever you bought it from sold a model with the early chipset. So I suspect a mainboard exchange.

Jack E/NJ