CD/DVD ROM internal Drive that would fit inside my Acer Aspire TC-705 i7-4790

Victor77
Victor77 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

About 4 months ago, I purchased a second-hand (in very good physical condition) Acer Aspire TC-705 i7-4790 Desktop Computer. It had Windows 10 installed (Home Edition 64-Bit). The label on the case mentions Win 8.1 but it must have been updated later on.

I installed about twenty-five 32-Bit programmes with no problems.

I accidentally deleted some files the other day and I tried a System Restore although I doubted that any data would be restored. The Restore hung for a long time and I re-started the computer. Since then, it has never worked again.

I purchased a "Restore Solutions" System Recovery Disc (also has a Driver Restore disc too) but that did not respond. I then purchased a "Software Base" Windows 10 Pro Dvd but that does not respond work either. As an experiment, I tried to install Win7 from my master disc but that only runs for about 45 seconds before stopping still in the Dvd Rom internal drive (which is in any case not very good as the tray unfortunately keeps ejecting itself two or three times at the start).

In case the Dvd/Cd Rom Drive is a little faulty, I just ordered a good quality external dvd drive via Amazon called "Alxum". so that I can at least check if my own Acer drive works or not?

If the Axlum external drive does work and so that I can install the Win10 Pro stand-alone disc, I would still like to restore the TC-705 to working order.

Does anyone know if you can buy a spare internal drive that would fit inside my TC-705 please?

Thanks for any help.

Victor 27/9/2023 10pm (W.London)

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

The same vendor that you bought the external DVD should have an internal unit.

You can create an bootable USB drive with window.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Or just install the OS from a flash drive instead of a DVD. Either way, go into your BIOS and verify that the boot menu is enabled, then hit F12 at boot time to choose the DVD or flash drive.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Victor77

Tinkerer

Thank you Billsey and Larryodie for kindly writing back.

Unfortunately, I do not understand how to make bootable discs or about ISO etc, so I always opt to obtain actual discs.

I failed to get Restore Solutions disc to work, likewise the new Software Base Win10 Pro Dvd which does not install (error message about disc controller in Bios Menu?).

The new external Dvd/CD player (arrived today) does work but not in my Acer TC-705 i7-4790 which only 2 weeks ago was a lovely working computer but is now a defunct ruin (in my hands).

I even managed to ruin a 1Tb Win7 drive when trying to overwrite the drive with Win7 (having given up on having Win10 Pro. It's sad that in my incapable hands this is all such a waste of good equipment and cash for a machine that I purchased 4 months ago in perfect condition.

AFTERTHOUGHT: I am trying to find another TC-705 i7-4790 for sale, but I am sure that a computer "expert" could probably get my machine going again. When I tried to install the brand new Win10 Pro (from Software Base), the process started but then produced the error message about Disc Controller and Bios Menu (which I did not understand but which is shown on the Web as a problem). I offered to bring my computer to the offices of Software Base in Canary Wharf (where by coincidence I collected my computer by hand) and pay for their time but they do not see customers. If I purchase a brand new 2Tb Drive and with the Win10 Pro Dvd (stand-alone disc), will I still get this "Bios Menu" message, I wonder? In previous OS discs, I have re-installed WinXP and Win 7 dozens of times without all these problems made worse because I do not know what to do?

Thanks again, Victor. 30/9/2023

• Larryodie

If you go to this link , it'll make your USB drive bootable just do as Billsey posted. Boot enable (enabled) and F12 to recognize as the boot device.

You said that you "purchased it 4 months ago". It's 7 years old with WIN7 and no chance to ever upgrade to WIN11.

Personally I would spend no more money on it and buy new.

BUT this link will burn WIN10 to a DVD or USB.

It does all the formatting and bootable.

Read the instructions.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

• Larryodie

I'm wondering if you've tried a ALT-F10 when booting as you may have a factory back-up on your Hard Drive ???

• billsey
    edited October 2023

Larry, the machine predates the Alt-F10 recovery process. It was released just about the same time as W10 and had the option to have W7 or W8.1 as well as the upgrade to W10. A factory image would take it to W8.1 and require a lot of updates and upgrades to get it near current.

Victor, you need to have the boot menu enabled in the BIOS. With that you can press F12 during POST instead of DEL to get the boot menu. Your Windows 10 DVD should be listed, choose it. When the installer comes up go to the second screen and choose the Repair option. Navigate from there to the command prompt. Type these commands, take pictures of the results and post them here. We'll then use those to determine if the drive is bad.

• diskpart
    • list disk
    • sel disk #
    • list part
    • list vol

Note that you will change the # to the actual number of the internal disk as shown by the "list disk" command. It will most likely be 0 or 1, but might be something different.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Victor77

Tinkerer

Thank you very much Billsey and Larryodie for writing further.

I am pleased to say that my newly-purchased second-hand Acer TC-705 i7-4790 is now up and running again.

It appears that my original WD 2Tb Green Internal Drive became faulty as to its first (system) partition. The second partition is still recognised (using an external Fideco caddy). Possibly, it can be repaired in Disk Management?

Having ordered a Recovery Disc, a Win10 Disc and an External Dvd Player to no avail - this is all explained now!

Finally, I ordered a 100% tested WD 2Tb Green Drive (second hand) and connected it and then installed Win10 which worked this time. Afterwards, I managed to create two partitions (using the "shrink" button in Disk Management).

I only had to install one driver for my Dell 1917s LCD Monitor. I also upgraded to Win10 Pro when prompted.

I apologise that I was unable to understand previous advice received re. bootable, ISO ?, etc. I persevered with the expense as I wanted to proceed as in earlier times when I was used to re-installing WinXP and Win7 many times using actual system discs. In fact, my main computer (Acer 7700GX) has some 400,000 e-mails on it going back to 2002 and still runs WinXP and I must continue with it as it is the last system to work with Outlook Express 6 (although there is a way to run Win7 by altering some things - something I will not be doing with my Acer TC-705).

Thank you again.

Regards, Victor. 8/10/2023.

• billsey

Great news Victor!

• Larryodie

Good news Victor. I'm assuming that you installed WIN10 from a USB (Flash ) drive ??

• Victor77

Tinkerer

Dear Larryodie.

Thanks again. I had ordered the Win10 Pro Installation DVD from Software Base at just under £30.

I installed using this disc and then created two partitions after the installation using the "shrink" tab. Later, I upgraded to Win10 Pro as the disc starts off as Win10 Home.

Regards, Victor.

12th October 2023.