Where exactly is the BIOS chip physically located on the Acer Aspire v5 series V5-573P-5408?

Options
yolivo
yolivo Member Posts: 3 New User
edited September 2023 in Aspire Laptops

Where exactly is the BIOS microchip physically located ?

Model NO. ZRQ

Acer Aspire V5-573P-5408

MFG Date: 2014/06/25

S/N: NXMBYAA016XXXX

SNID: XXXX

Motherboard Model: ZRQ DAZRQMB18FO REV. F

YA-4A194V-0

E114139 22 14

My little brother disassembled this laptop removed the CMOS battery and tried to start up the computer. Realizing the CMOS battery wasnt connected he shut down the laptop and reconnected the CMOS battery but trying to start up the computer after doing all of this was just left with a black screen. No beeping of any kind. Computer turns on but has no display. No F2 or F12 options NOTHING. Assuming he lost all BIOS settings when trying to start without BIOS battery, If I can locate the BIOS microchip and reprogram it can this laptop be brought back to life? Can the laptop ever work again at all and is there anything I can do to fix this issue?

[Edited the thread to hide sensitive information]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 9,778 Trailblazer
    Options

Disconnect the main battery and take out the CMOS coin battery (see red circle picture). With a bended paperclip shorten the +/- contacts inside the CMOS housing (red circle) for 2 seconds. Replace the battery with he + sign up, press the Power Button on the keyboard for 20 seconds and reconnect the battery. Try to boot.

• yolivo
    Options

Ok. Now before I try this I just want to make sure I completely understand. After removing the CMOS coin battery I'm gonna short the negative and positive inside the CMOS housing and then plug in the power cord and turn on thus shorting the CMOS negative and positive correct?

• yolivo
    Options

Ok. Now before I try this I just want to make sure I completely understand. After removing the CMOS coin battery I'm gonna short the negative and positive inside the CMOS housing and then plug in the power cord and turn on thus shorting the CMOS negative and positive correct?

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 9,778 Trailblazer
    Options

Before touching anything inside the laptop, disconnect the ribbon cable from the main battery to the motherboard at the motherboard battery cable connector socket, use your fingernails to wiggle the plug out of the socket, it may be very tight. Don't use pliers or a screwdriver as you will damage the connector.

Yes, you connect the +/- contacts inside the CMOS housing that connect the battery when it is inside. Use a short electrical wire or bended paperclip for that for about 2 seconds only, not permanent, to discharge any static currents and replace the coin battery in the correct position (+ sign facing up) in the CMOS housing.

Negative: I don't know where you get this from: "and then plug in the power cord and turn on thus shorting the CMOS negative and positive correct"? What I wrote is: After replacing the CMOS battery, press the Power Button for 20 seconds, then reconnect the main battery ribbon cable connector to the motherboard battery cable socket. Close the laptop and try to boot.

If you are not 100% sure what to do, please bring the laptop to Acer Services in your country to reset the BIOS.