Battery Drain issue with helios neo 16. The battery back up was upto 5 hours now it comes 2 hours.

Options
Mithunesh2003
Mithunesh2003 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in Predator Laptops

I used to get a battery backup of 4 to 5 hours with my laptop when i bought it initially but suudenly now it gives only a backup of 2 hrs .

I tried the following troubleshooting options

1. i ran the system on eco mode
  2. i update all the drivers and windows update including nvidia drivers
  3. i updated the bios to the latest version
  4. i uninstalled the acpi battery driver and reinstalled
  5. disabled my graphics card
  6. recallibrated the battery by charging and discharging for three complete cycles

None of the above mentioned methods worked.

Then i found an intresting insight from the battery report

as you could see my battery backup has abrubtly falled down from 12/08/2023

i dont know what update has caused it .

Can anyone suggest a sollution .

Pls Help out.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,919 Trailblazer
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

You are only showing part of the battery report. What is the maximum charge from 19 August onwards does the charge ever go to 100%? Are you using the Acer Care Center 80% charge limiting option or any other battery limiting bloatware. Try another adapter.

If you are not using charging limiting programs and the battery won't charge to 100% anymore and you tried another adapter one of the battery cells may have died. You have to replace the battery after a couple of months till you don't get any more than 1 hour life.

Answers

• Puraw
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

You are only showing part of the battery report. What is the maximum charge from 19 August onwards does the charge ever go to 100%? Are you using the Acer Care Center 80% charge limiting option or any other battery limiting bloatware. Try another adapter.

If you are not using charging limiting programs and the battery won't charge to 100% anymore and you tried another adapter one of the battery cells may have died. You have to replace the battery after a couple of months till you don't get any more than 1 hour life.

• Mithunesh2003

Tinkerer

Options

Here i have attached the complete report.

i dont limit the charging , it charges upto 100% and it is shown in the report as well

• Puraw
    edited September 2023
    Options

Something must have changed in power consumption after August 18, if you have no external devices attached and did not change the dGPU adapter or BIOS (MUX?) setting you may have a hardware issue or the Windows Battery meter is wrong, which happens. Open MSconfig.exe and click on Safe Boot, turn off all non-Windows services and click on Base Video, then click on Apply and reboot. Work for a few hours to populate BIOS and MS ACPI battery stats, open MSconfig.exe again and select normal boot, check that all services are enabled, and Base Video is turned off, click on Apply and reboot, wait till the battery is fully charged (blue LED) and make a battery report. I don't know if this works with Safe Boot, but you can give it a try.

As your laptop is probably still under warranty, don't try the CMOS/BIOS reset method as that involves opening the laptop. I recommend bringing your laptop and the adapter/charger to Acer Services in your country if you cannot get the Battery Drain issue resolved.

• Mithunesh2003

Tinkerer

Options

Acually a new bios version was released on august 8 . i did not manually uprade my bios but my bios version was automatically updated to that version by some windows update or something i guess. is that the cause for this behaviour.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Have you tried calibrating the battery? Acer Care Center provides this function.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Mithunesh2003

Tinkerer

Options

Yes i have calibrated the battery using the feature in acer care center but it did not imporove the battery life

• Mithunesh2003

Tinkerer

Options

my graphics card is turning on and off automatically … does this have anything to do with the battery drain?

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

It's possible. Check this option:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Mithunesh2003

Tinkerer

Options

My display mode is also set to autoselect

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Are there any background programs using the nvidia graphics card?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Arun_raddi
    Arun_raddi Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Bro I now have same problem please help me if you got any solution please

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Have you tried disabling charging via the USB port in quick access?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• bindaaas23
    bindaaas23 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited December 2023
    Options

Has your problem solved ? If yes, how? I was planning to buy neo 16;; Please let me know.