aspire e1 431 No boot mode I just upgraded my ssd into uefi mode to make my pc better

Options
Decimal56
Decimal56 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited September 2023 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks

I just upgraded my ssd into uefi mode to make my pc better and after i finished upgraded i reboot but it says "no bootable media" i tried again i check in a bios i notice it doesn't have a boot mode what should i do now it my primary work notebook i tried to default bios but doesnt work

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,877 Trailblazer
    Options

The HS-SSD-E100 512GB is a 2.5" Sata drive, mount the drive in an external USB HDD case and test the drive on another PC. The bootloader is missing you should see Windows Boot Manager in BIOS boot devices list. You mention UEFI format, what is your laptop model and year, maybe that SSD drive needs to be formatted as MBR (legacy) not GPT (UEFI).

• shoaibbba
    shoaibbba Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

It seems you've switched your SSD to UEFI mode for better performance trend but encountered a "no bootable media" issue. Here's what you can try:

1. Legacy Boot: Check if your BIOS has a legacy boot mode. If UEFI isn't working, switching to legacy might help.
    2. Boot Order: Ensure that your SSD is set as the first boot device in BIOS settings.
    3. Bootable Media: Ensure that the SSD has a bootable operating system installed. Reinstalling the OS might be necessary.
    4. Secure Boot: If UEFI is enabled, make sure that Secure Boot is configured correctly. Disabling it temporarily might help.
    5. BIOS Update: Consider updating your BIOS to the latest version, as it can resolve compatibility issues.
    6. Boot Repair: Try using a bootable USB drive with repair tools to fix boot issues on your SSD.
    7. Backup Data: Before making significant changes, back up your data to prevent data loss.
    8. Professional Help: If issues persist, seek assistance from a professional technician or computer support service.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

We need to know what computer you have. From the looks of that BIOS page it might be old enough that it doesn't support UEFI boot…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Decimal56
    Decimal56 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Billsey

my laptop is aspire e1 431 It is too old to support uefi?

• StevenGen
    Options

If your previous HDD and its OS was formatted in MBR/Legacy mode and you cloned that OS onto the new Hikvision-SSD-E100 512GB drive, then the UEFI bios will not recognize an MBR/Legacy OS formatted drive as it will only recognize a GUID (GPT) format, that is why you are getting the "no bootable media". You need to have the windows OS installed in the GUID (GPT) format on the new Hikvision-SSD-E100 512GB drive, as then it will be recognized in the bios and it will be operable.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

Your Aspire E1-431 came originally with Windows 7 and doesn't support a UEFI boot. You need to have your drive configured for MBR instead of GPT in order for it to boot to an OS. That increases your risk of getting malware, but will still work even with Windows 10. How much memory do you have installed (it supports up to 8GB)? If you change the drive to MBR and boot from a Windows install flash drive. You might have to enable to boot menu in the BIOS (Main tab) to boot from the USB.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.